Left Breast with Capsular Contracture? (Photo)

I am 2 1/2 months post op I had saline under the muscle 460 cc's on right breast and 485 cc's on my left via transaxillary incision. I was concerned because my left breast is higher than my right and my surgeon told me I am getting capsular contracture on my left. Does this seem to be the issue according to my photo? I am wearing a wrap to try to lower my left and I am taking Accolate 2 times a day. If this is really capsular contracture what else can I do to prevent revision surgery?

Asymmetry

+1

Your left implant does appear to be higher at this time. Aggressive massage and a band will be helpful. You may need revisional surgery.

Capsular Contracture After Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear Krista,

Thank you for sharing your photo.

Your left breast implant sitting higher than the right one is consistent but not affirmative of a capsular contracture.

If your left breast is firm/hard to touch when compared to your right breast then capsular contracture may be developing.

Another possibility is that the implant pocket is not as open as the right one.

Finally, without pre-op photos it is not possible to rule out the possible correlation of pre-op asymmetry to the one you have now.

Pushing the implant downward using the aid of a bra has little to no effect in case you have a capsular contracture.

Accolate may be helpful but results vary from one patient to another.

I recommend that you follow your surgeon's instructions religiously and be patient leaving room for mother nature to take its course.

In case the current asymmetry persists after you achieve full recovery and capsular contracture has been established to be the cause of the asymmetry then surgery may be necessary to clear the fibrotic tissue and make room for the implant to fall into a comparable place to the right one.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Capsular Contracture or Malposition

+1

You did not say whether your left breast is more firm than your right, or whether this asymmetry has been present since the surgery or has worsened over time.   Both of these are indicative of capsular contracture.  You might also just have  asymmetry of the pockets with the left pocket not being as open along the inframammary fold.  This could have been present preoperatively or the left pocket just wasn't made low enough.  Both issues are correctable, but will likely require additional surgery.

Breast Capsular Contracture

+1

Good Morning and thank you for the photo.  The position of your left breast in relation to your right breast can be consistent with a capsular contracture.  If present, the left breast will be firm which leads to 'squeezing' of the implant by the scar tissue.  This 'squeezing' will distort the shape of the breast and push the breast upwards as you are experiencing.

A strap to push down the breast is unlikely to have any benefit.  Taking Accolate has been shown to help decrease the firmness (capsular contracture) in some patients. However, the improved results with Accolate are inconsistent and infrequent.

If you have developed a capsular contracture that is distorting your breast shape and position, you will most likely need a revisional procedure to 'open up' or remove the scar tissue that has formed around your implant to restore the natural softness and position of the breast.

Best Wishes for a wonderful result!!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture??

+1

Without an exam,and knowledge of the appearance before surgery,  this is not possible to answer. A hallmark of capsular contracture is firmness of the implant, and there is no mention as to whether this finding is present or not. 

Capsular contracture is certainly a likely cause of the asymmetry. Others include asymmetry before the surgery, and malposition of the implants . If on your preop photos your breast folds are uneven, that is the likeliest cause. Consider adding pre-op photos to your question. Thanks and best wishes.