Leech Therapy for Blood Pooling - Is This Possible?

I had upper and lower eyelid surgery, I have a pool of blood (lump) under one eye. I was told about Leech therapy? from a friend it sounds so horrible any info on this?

Blood Leeches are not Accepted Treatment for Eyelid Bruising

+2
Leeches were widely used medically in the 19th century. Their use was resurrected i the 1980's in microsurgical cases to reduce venous congestion. While leeches are helpful in these cases, their use is not without risk. The leech sucks blood from both its ends and defecates from multiple openings along its side potentially causing serious infections. Blood clots and bruising will not be improved by leeches and using them is at best useless but potentially dangerous. Dr. Peter Aldea

Use of leeches for periocular "blood pooling"

+1

It would probably be best to avoid the use of leeches in the periocular area.  Try warm compresses and massage to help clear the blood.  It will go away with time.  Good luck.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Leech therapy for small blood lump after eyelid surgery? NO.

+1

The modern use of leeches really began in the early 1980’s with the development of free flaps and large myocutaneous flaps for reconstructive purposes if the venous drainage to the flaps was initially inadequate, they would ultimately fail due to congestion. The leeches, by removing the congested blood during that initial period, allowed many flaps to ultimately survive. That said, they certainly do not have any place in cosmetic surgery. If you have a small area of pooled bleed and it is about one week post-operatively, then the pool of blood can be evacuated as it begins to soften with either a needle or a small stab incision. Or you can just allow it to resolve on its own.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Leech Therapy

+1

I would think you wouldn't want a leech anywhere near your eye unless there was a dire need for it due to complications of a major reconstructive surgery.  Give it time the lump will go away.  Try some massage.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

No

+1
Leach is used for blood congestion and not for blood cloth. It may take 2-3 weeks for blood cloth to resolve.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon