Supratip & Tip Swelling 8 Months After Revision Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had a revision rhinoplasty 8 months ago and I'm really concerned about my final result. My nose looks so full and it's still numb, and there is supratip swelling. IS IT POSSIBLE for this to get better with time ? or should I seek injections or another revision rhinoplasty ? or should I wait ? Moreover I feel there's a bone on the bridge of my nose when i touch it, but I can't see anything...is it normal as well or will my bone grow back ?

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty

+2

In general, it can take 18-24 months before the final result of rhinoplasty is evident. This is especially the case if your procedure was a revision. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. Your nose will continue to change over time, and it is important to be patient during the healing process. I would recommend waiting and see how you continue to heal. In the meantime, your surgeon should be able to answer any questions you have about your healing. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

What is normal swelling after revision rhinoplasty?

+1

It is normal to have swelling persist up to 18 to 24 months post revision rhinoplasty.  Numbness can also persist for some time.  I would not be concerned as much by this.  I would however follow up with your plastic surgeon as some of the fullness you are seeing in the supra tip area maybe scar tissue that maybe forming and can be addressed in the early stages with Kenalog (steroid) injections.  Based on your ethnic background, you are going to have thicker skin and more soft tissue in the supra tip making you more prone to scar tissue formation.  I don't see the bump you are referring to on the bridge of your nose.  I would give that more time.  Good luck.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Supratip & Tip Swelling 8 Months After Revision Rhinoplasty?

+1

Dear Mohammad,

thank you for your question and photos.  It is common to have swelling that happens even at 8 months.  If the tip is swollen, then it will improve.  If it is not swollen and is just larger with subcutaneous tissue, then it will not get smaller.  A physical exam along with seeing your pre-op photos would be helpful here.  Vigorous exercise can increase the swelling.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Supratip Swelling 8 months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Its a little unusual to have supratip swelling 8 months post op. On the left lateral it looks like you may have cartilagenous pollybeak deformity. It thats the case then you would need a revision to repair this. If its just swellling or soft tissue pollybeak it should respond to steroid injections. This can be assessed by feeling the area of the supratip swellling; if its hard its probably cartilagenous pollybeak.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS