What Are the Real Percentages of Lymph System Side Effects After a Tt?

I plan on having an abdominplasty but have done some research and the whole lymphatic system being severed looks really scary. Will it put me at a higher risk for getting infections or even cancer?

Lymphedema after Tummy Tuck

+1

I personally have not had any of my patients experience lymphedema after an abdominoplasty. However, I have seen patients who have undergone surgery by Non-Plastic Surgeons who have developed lymphedema manifested by chronic swelling in the thighs, lower legs, ankles, and feet. This is a serious complication which often times cannot be cured. Be sure that your surgeon is a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, and NOT a "Cosmetic Surgeon." There is huge difference in the amount of training and skill sets between the two. You should be in good hands when you choose the former.

Thank you for your question and best of luck with your surgery!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.