Leaving Town for Mommy Makeover & Hernia Repair, is It a Bad Idea?

After being diagnosed with an umbilical/and super-umbilical hernia, I decided since I had to undergo surgery and recovery AGAIN(previous - myomectomy and 2 C-sections, most recent 4 1/2 years ago), I'd like to have something to look forward to. After 3 consults, in which a mini-tummy tuck with breast aug were recommended, I am flying out of state where I have family, to get my work done. The plan: follow up 7 days post-op and flying home that evening if approved by dr. (3 hour flt). Thoughts?

This may not be your last flight to this surgeon

+2

Where I live in Seattle we get asked this type of question all the time from women who live in remote areas of Alaska, Montana and Idaho.  So the rules I have developed include the following.  First of all, in this situation you are going to have to be flexible.  If you are still having pain at day seven and don't feel like flying, or you are still having some minor problems, can your ticket be changed without an exhorbitant fee?  If you go home with your drains still in are you, with some instructions beforehand, capable of taking them out yourself or will you have to go to your family doctor?  Will that person be willing to get involved at all in your care?

I can answer many of your questions on the phone after you go home about how you are healing by looking at a digital photo of that area sent by e-mail.  But there is nothing that can substitute for a good old fashinoed follow up exam.  I know it is expensive to fly back but that is rule number two.  You may have to buck up and pay for it when you need my reasurance in person that everything is all right.

Given those parameters I see patients all the time who are totally satisfied that these types of arrangements worked out for them.  As long as safety comes first it can be done.

Flying out of town for Mommy Make-Over

+1

Many patients choose to travel out of their immediate area to have cosmetic surgery.  I don't see that as a problem at all.  If you have family to take care of you, that is great.  My main concern about leaving the area 1 week post op surgery would be the drains.  Normally, with a tummy tuck procedure, you will have drains that need to be removed (on average 1-3 weeks post op) so you would need to have another surgeon back home that could take care of that for you.  Keep in close communication with your surgeon after you leave.

I have many out of state patients who fly in for surgery and they understand that if they end up having a complication, they may need to fly back to see me OR if they choose, they can see a local surgeon.

+1

I would recommend at least a 10 day follow up within the contingency if you are doing OK to leave in 7 days. See if the PS in the out of town area for your surgery has a colleague in your hometown to see you if there is an issue. 

Need to consider some of the issues with out of town cosmetic surgery

+1

Many people do go out of town for their cosmetic surgery for a variety of reasons but there are several issues that you need to consider. One week follow-up is not long enough for what you are undergoing. Unless you have a plastic surgeon back home who is willing to see you in follow-up, you may not be able to obtain the most ideal care if needed. How will you deal with potential complications or untoward issues, even minor ones like open wounds, delayed healing, sutures coming through the skin, accumulation of fluid (seroma) or even a drain that needs to be in place for more than a week?

A three hour flight for frequent enough follow-up can add up to be very expensive. Furthermore, the traveling would be associated with an increased risk for clots in your legs and lungs (risk is elevated after surgery). A much shorter flight/distance would be more ideal if you have to have your surgery elsewhere.

These are just some things to think about before embarking on this approach.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Leaving town for a tummy tuck

+1

Flying out of town for a tummy tuck brings up three issues. If you have insurance for your hernia repair, leaving town might place you out of your network, so double check to see if your coverage might be at risk. Second, the issue of travel home, the risk of blood clots is real, and you may wish to look into special stockings for your flight, and walk frequently. Aspirin has no proven benefit in reducing DVT. Finally, if you develop a seroma or delayed healing, who will care for the other surgeon's work?

peterejohnsonmd

Flying Out of State for Mommy Makeover

+1

In general, you should be carefully followed by your surgeon for at least 2-4 weeks after a Mommy Makeover, and thereafter less freqeuntly than that.  If for example, you have drains for the tummy part, they usually stay for 1-2 weeks.  You need to be prepared to come back to see your surgeon as early as 2 weeks after the surgery (for drain management or care of any post-operative problems) if you are flying home after a week, and then return as often as necessary.  You should not rely on a local doctor to take care of any complications or manage your post-operative care, but rather the surgeon who did the procedure.  

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

But what if you have a late problem.

+1

I am always a proponent of local surgery, providing there are competent board certified plastic surgeons. What happens if you have a complication 8 or more days post surgical? Are you going to fly back to the operating Doc? Who will take care of you at home? Even though both of the other doctor's answers are correct and you can fly, there are other considerations.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Mommy Makeover out of town

+1

In general I think it is fine to stay where your surgeon is for a week, then fly home after that.  It is important to get up a few times during the flight and walk around.  Surgery is a risk factor for blood clots in your legs and so is sitting for prolonged periods of time.  I think the Aspirin suggestion is a good one if your surgeon is ok with it.  

Of course, complications can come up after a week. It may be harder to deal with some of them once you get home, and your surgeon is out of town.  Maybe I am biased though, since my office is 5 minutes from Richardson.  Good luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Mommy makeover

+1

Not sure I really understand your question. I think you are asking if it is OK to fly 7 days after your mommy makeover. Most likely "yes" though you will still be a bit sore from the tummy tuck. Also, hydrate well and plan to get up several times during the flight in order to keep the blood moving and avoid blood clots. You might also ask your surgeon if it would be OK to start some aspirin a few days after surgery. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD