Tummy Tuck Not Healing? (photo)

5 weeks post op and my incision has opened up and re stitched 4 times now. 3 times in clinic and once again under general anesthetic and again it has opened. I do no not smoke and and am 26 and healthy. I am in weekly contact with my surgeon and he wants to stitch all the time that is so painful. I currently have nylon stitches in that seem to be tearing through my skin, I'm guessing there is to much tension. I have 2 year old twins and need to know what is my best option for healing ASAP.

Tummy Tuck and Resuturing

+3

Tummy tuck incision separation should be managed conservatively and should not be resutured.  Dressing changes until the wound is healed can be followed by scar revision in one year if needed.

Tummy Tuck Not Healing?

+3

STOP! the re suturing and allow wound healing to occur. Than after fully closed wait 3 to 6 months to have revision. 

Open Wound after Tummy Tuck?

+2

Sorry to hear/see about the complication you have experienced after tummy tuck surgery. These types of wound healing problems are not uncommon. I would suggest local wound care with dressing changes ( under the guidance of your plastic surgeon) and avoidance of any further suturing.  You will find that with dressing changes,  the wound should close over the next few weeks.  Sometimes, in the long-term, scar revision surgery may be helpful/beneficial.

VAC dressing

+2

Clearly re-suturing does not work.  I do not re-suture wounds that open up because they are most likely only going to fall apart again.  First, your surgeon needs to understand what is causing the problem.  Then it can be treated.  I would recommend actually opening the wound a little more to clean it out properly and then use a VAC (Vacuum assisted closure) therapy to close the wound from inside out.  It works like magic and helps to clean the wound at the same time.  It may take some time to close the wound completely, but it is the safest and most reliable way to go in your situation

Martin Jugenburg, MD

What is the best option for healing?

+1

I am so sorry to hear about all of your troubles with the tummy tuck procedure. I am also sorry to tell you that with this problem, there is no ASAP.  This will take months to heal and then a revision will likely be required.  Have your plastic surgeon stop suturing the wound and instead begin local wound care with debridement and packing of the wound.  Make sure you are not smoking and increase the protein and vitamins in your diet. Good luck and be patient for the best result.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Repeated Tummy Tuck Wound Closures Unlikely To Help At This Point

+1

Thank you for your photos and question.  I am sorry that you are experiencing this complication.  Fortunately, the issue can be addressed.  Given the failures of multiple attempts at closure, it would be prudent to avoid further attempts.  I would recommend allowing the wound to heal first, the doing a scar revision approximately one year later.  Small portable wound vacuum devices are not available on the market that help wounds such as yours to heal much faster so that you can get back to caring for your babies.  I would discuss this option with your surgeon.  Best Wishes!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck wound failure, dehiscence

+1

It is very unusual to have to sew together something more than once if there is a dehiscence or separation of the wound.

This could be due to tension, infection, bacterial count too high to allow the body to heal the wound, or other factors.

It never hurts to have a second pair of eyes look at a problem and weigh in on what treatment might work.  Often the second opinion can give the patient another option to fix the problem. 

Brent Moelleken, MD

Resuturing tummy wound

+1

Dear Loveable Leatherhead,

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time of things.  It is good that you are having regular contact with your surgeon and it looks like you will need to let this wound heal naturally.  You will need regular dressings to keep it clean and try to maintain a good diet.  It is great that you are a non-smoker as smoking would be the worst thing you could do.

I am afraid that it is likely to be a long haul to get this healed and there are no easy fixes.  Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Not Healing?

+1

Sorry to hear about what you have been going through. Although resuturing may have been a good idea the first time or two, at this stage I would suggest having all the visible sutures removed, and begin using silver dressings and allow this to heal--expect several weeks. 

Closing it ASAP a sixth time will probably result in the closure failing ASAP for the sixth time. 

Thank you for your question, and for the photos attached. Best wishes.