Leaking Saline Implant - Surgeon in Toronto Needed?

I have a difficult case here. My Saline implants were put in nearly 6 years ago under the muscle underarm. There has always been a some level of pain, redone about 3 months after the 1st surgery, the right side has always continuously been causing discomfort. it never progressed and thru the recent pregnancy it improved and now after breast feeding, it is much worse. they found subtle leak. I have no surgeon in Toronto. i can only redo if its covered by OHIP, but fam doc says its not covered :-(

It would be best to follow up with your originl surgeon

+2

Hi,

It would be best to follow up with your original surgeon regarding your implants.  The surgeon would be best to assess the situation of your implants.  It is extremely rare to have a "subtle leak" with a saline implant.  In the extremely rare cases of an implant failure, the implant will usually completely deflate.  It isn't impossible to have a slight volume loss, but that would suggest a implant valve issue and it occurs very rarely.  Your original surgeon will take care of you if you have an implant failure issue.  The slight loss of volume is usually related to a loss of your own natural breast volume or an increase in laxity (stretch) of yor breast skin - both often occur as a result of pregnancy.  Often patients think their implants have lost some volume, due to increase laxity and decreased size after pregnancy, but often the implants have not changed in volume.  Your surgeon, or a PS that does many BA cases, can help you clarify what is going on in your situation.  Best of luck.   

Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon in Toronto

+2

I am not familiar with the Canadian insurance policies so can not comment about the payment aspects. However, Dr. Leila Kasrai or Dr. Wayne Carman may be possibilities to help you. Consult with 3 - 4 surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

There can't be a subtle leak of a saline implant

+1

If you have a saline implant, it will leak or it won't .  If it leaks it will all leak out and completely deflate.

More details on how this 'subtle leak' would be helpful.

Seeing the original surgeon is likely the best way to proceed.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Revisionary Breast Surgery in Toronto?

+1

There will be up to you to do your due diligence in researching well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in Toronto. Make sure you see lots of examples of their work helping patients with revision I breast surgery. Their offices will be able to assist you with the possibility of “insurance” coverage.