Are Leaking Left Implant and Sore Ribs Linked?

I am in my third trimester and my left ribs are aching very bad. My left implant also seems to be leaking. I don't know if it is pregnancy related or implant related. I have saline implants. I am very worried....I don't want my baby or I getting sick!

Leaking implant and sore ribs

+2

Being pregnant in and of itself, can cause discomfort and soreness in the ribs from the weight and stretching. I doubt it is from a leaking implant.

Leaking implant and sore ribs linked

+2

Possible but very unlikely any relationship between the leakage of saline and ribs pain exists. Call your PS to determine this. Also, there is no effect on saline to your pregnancy but check with your GYN to be sure.

From MIAMI Dr. B 

Leaking saline implants are safe

+2

No need to be concrned about the saline - it is just IV fluid.  Also, the rib pain is from the stretching of your body by the growing baby, not from a leaking implant.  Try to relax, you have enough on your plate without worrying about the implants.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Saline Implant No Concern

+2

I wouldn't worryabout a possible leak of your saline implant.  Even if you have a saline leak, it is not harmful to you or your child.  In reality, the pressure from your increased breast size and abdomen is probably applying more pressure than pre- pregnancy.  I would wait and see how things feel after you have given birth and finished breastfeeding ( if planned).  At that point, if you are still sore, then I would check with your surgeon.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and rib pain with the "push-me, pull-you" effect: opposing forces of expansion

+2

As much as an implant pushes your breast and skin outward to create a larger breast, your breast and skin push back on the implant. Over time, this causes a remodeling of the ribs of the chest wall. This happens with any implant and we commonly observe this phenomenon with chin implants. During pregnancy the engorgement of the breast tissue can exert force downward on the implant causing greater remodeling of the ribs. This varies among individuals.

No Link between A deflating Implant and Pregnancy Related Rib Discomfort

+2

When a saline breast implant leaks it deflates and loses most of its volume in a matter of a few days. The process is painless and most women realize it happened because a breast gradually becomes smaller. There are no symptoms attached to it.

A deflated saline implant is NOT a surgical emergency. It can be left alone for months and does not require immediate replacement. In your case, it could easily be replaced about 6 months after you stopped breast feeding.

There may be other reasons for your rib discomfort. I would check with your OB to make sure it is not something that could threaten you or the baby.