Leaking Breast Implant? (photo)

On July 24, 2012 I had a full abdominoplasty along with saline breast implants. With in the last 2 months I've experienced sharp stabbing pain in my left breast. I found lumps in my left breast also that same breast has dropped tremendously. I quickly made an appt with my suregon. At the appt I explained the issues I was having and the Surgeon brushed it off. Her excuse was that I'm still early in my post opt stages and that everything that I talked with her about was expected.

Leaking implant?

+2

I understand your concerns. You certainly have some asymmetry but I doubt it is from a leak. Saline implants generally go nearly flat when they leak. It could be that you are getting a capsule contracture. As capsule contracture worsens it becomes more round and ball like and can appear "smaller". If your smaller breast is becoming harder it's probably a contracture.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/

Ruptured Implant?

+2

If you have a leak in your left breast implant, you will continue to see a gradual decrease in volume in your left breast. This will become apparent with your bra on or off. Fortunately, if you do have a leak, your implants should be covered by the warranty that is provided by all the implant manufacturers in the U.S. 

Thanks for sharing your concerns and photos. Best of Luck!

Concerns about Breast Symmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The breast asymmetry that you are referring to is visible in the photograph posted. It is difficult, without direct physical examination, to say with any degree of certainty whether you are experiencing a breast implant leak or breast asymmetry related to breast implant displacement.  It is clear however that significant breast asymmetry does exist;  is very likely that your plastic surgeon will be more appreciative of this difference during your next visit.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Implant Rupture after Augmentation

+1

Implant rupture is a known complication of breast augmentation, but there are very few slow saline leaks.  They usually deflate quickly. 

Implant issue?

+1

Saline implants deflate completely if there is a leak.  It may be something else, but I can not be sure without an exam.  

Breast implant leaking

+1

If you noticed gradual decrease of breast volume on the left side, then you most likely have a leaking implant. The leaking implant may take a while to completely deflate, sometimes up to a couple of months. When you feel the left breast, if you can feel partially filled bag that's different than the right side, then most likely it's leaking and on the way to complete deflation. There are many reason why an implant develops a leak. The only way to find out is to remove it and exam it. Your breast implant should come with a warranty and it would be nice if you got the extended warranty which gives you more protection. If your operating surgeon is not willing to fix it then it's time to find another plastic surgeon who will.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Leaking

+1

saline breast implants have a silicone shell and they are filled with sterile saline or salt water. If the implants were leaking they would be completely deflated and flat.