Leakage on Scars 3 Weeks After Surgery, is This Normal?

I had surgery just over 3weeks ago over in Turkey, on return home I felt the right breast was swollen and was advised of possible collection of fluid however tonight the left breast looked a little inflamed around the incision and it started to weep fluid, after a visit to my GP he has put on a dressing and given me some anti biotics, however will this clear any infection and when should the leaking stop? My surgeon is based in turkey ands will not be over in UK for 3 weeks

Leakage 3 Weeks After Breast Implants

+1

The redness coupled with the possible fluid collection suggests an infection.  Although antibiotics are needed, anuy fluid collection should be drained.

Leakage

+1

There should be no leakage three weeks after surgery. Sometimes incisions that take longer to heal cause some spotting. You should be evaluated.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Incision Leakage and Infection

+1

At 3 weeks, your incision should be healed. Leakage and inflammation around the wound implies an infection, and taking antibiotics is a good first step. However, I would not rely on antibiotics alone to solve the problem with the leakage. Leakage means that there is an opening somewhere along your incision. If not treated appropriately, this opening can become larger, potentially exposing your implant. It is important to find a local plastic surgeon to examine and treat you now, rather than waiting 3 weeks for your surgeon to show up in the UK and hoping for the best.

Thanks for your question. Good Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

?Implant infection

+1

You really need to be seen by your surgeon or another of your choosing. This may represent an implant infection, and if so, antibiotics alone may not clear up the problem. The sooner you are evaluated the better. Best wishes.

Breast implant

+1

I would be very concerned about an infection.  If the infection is just in the skin the antibiotics may work, if it is deeper it may involve the implant.    See your surgeon ASAP

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon