Should I have Expected More Leakage From Incision After Vaser Liposuction?

I have had a touch up after my Vaser Hi-Def. This time the doctor extracted ca. 800ml and the procedure focused on my flanks and tummy Differently from last time, this time I wasn't stitched any surgical drain and the incisions at the bottom of my abdomen were left open but I have experienced very little leakage and after less than 24h my incisions seemed closed already. My lower abdomen is now (24h after) quite swollen. Is this normal or should I have expected more leakage?

Vaser Liposuction

+1

Swelling is expected, and the fluid will reabsorb if there is any in there.  An 800cc removal is a small case, and you should not expect too much drainage.  Remember, the doctor sucked the fat and removed fluid then as well.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Leakage after lipo

+1

Some patients get some leakage while others do not. It is really ahrd to predict.  I usually close the incisions after lipo so they do not leak too much.

Drainage after VASER

+1

Normally, I would expect moderate drainage for the first 2-3 days after VASER lipo and especially a touch up procedure. The short duration of drainage and subsequent swelling of the lower abdomen may suggest a seroma or collection of fluid which may require drainage. I would recommend close follow up with your surgeon for timely management.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon