Does One Breast Getting Smaller Mean I Have A Leak?

I have had saline implants since 2003. Today I noticed that my left breast seems smaller than my right. Could my implant be leaking or am I freaking out over nothing?

Saline implant Leaking

+1

When a saline implant ruptures, it will quickly deflate and you will notice a significant decrease in size.  I have seen several patients who have a valve leak where the saline implant is filled during the original operation.  It may leak a small amount of saline through the valve and then stop. I would suggest you give it some time to see if the implant continues to get smaller...then go back to your plastic surgeon to have it checked.  Good luck!

Does One Breast Getting Smaller Mean I Have A Leak?Answer:

+1

Most of the time when a saline implant ruptures, it deflates very quickly and there is no question...but, I have seen "valve leaks" that only deflate to a certain point, and when there is no longer enough pressure in the implant to overcome the incompetent valve...it stops. So give it some time and have it looked at, but no worry or hurry if you are not sure. And have your old implant paperwork handy if it is a leak!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

+1

A leaking saline implant is not an emergency, although it is a pain.  Contact your surgeon's office during normal business hours for a check up.  It sounds like a deflation is a possibility.  If so, you would want to put in a new saline implant, or change out for a gel implant which does not go down in size if ruptured.  Talk to your surgeon about your choices.  All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Shrinking implants

+1

If you have a significant change in size, it is almost certain that your saline implant is leaking. There is about a 1/2-1% risk of this happening per year. The leak often will stop short of full delfation as the pressure inside and outside the bag equalizes and the implants folds more.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast getting smaller eight years after breast implants

+1

If one breast is indeed getting smaller eight years after your saline breast implants were placed, a leak is almost certain. The leaks when the implant has worn progress quickly for most, though replacement of your implant should be easy, so see your surgeon soon.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Saline implant leak

+1

It is possible for saline to leak from an implant,this is often accompanied by increased rippling in the implant . I would suggest you contact your surgeon.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Leaking inplant

+1

Saline implants may never leak, but they have the potential to leak at any time.  Most often, the leak becomes very obvious as that breast becomes much smaller.  The best way to be sure is to visit with a plastic surgeon.  If you are unable to see your original surgeon, try to find and bring the implant details to your appointment (manufacturer, size, fill volume) as this will help with decision making.  Good luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Saline Implant Leak?

+1

You may have a leak. It is not an emergency but contact your plastic surgeon to be evaluated. Bring your implant documents to see if the company will offer a replacement implant.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Leaking Saline Implants

+1

It is impossible to state with certainty if your saline implant is leaking, however a significant change in size would make this likely.  You should see your plastic surgeon quickly since replacement is fairly simple if done right away.  Since your implants are less than 10 years old, the manufacturer may cover mosy, if not all, of the costs associated with replacement.

John Whitt, MD

Saline implants

+1

It is very possible that you have a slow leak in your implant. If so, the implant should deflate completely over the next few days.  You should see your surgeon to be evaluated.