Leak in Sillicone Implants and in Lymph Gland

Can I get advice on how quickly I should get these taken out?Ive read its not urgent but what does that mean? Within a year or can I wait? We've also trying for a baby - would it be dangerous to be pregnant with a leaking implant and then have them removed after pregnancy? Would I still be able to breast feed? And is it dangerous to have a mammogram with rupoture implants? My consultant has recommended this over MRI Im 32 and had my implants 5 years ago. Im worried silcone causes damage.

Leak in implant?

+1

If you suspect a leak in your gel implants,  the bes tway to determine this is an MRI, from there you can make decisions about what you want to do.

Silicone Breast Implants Leaking?

+1

If you don't know if your silicone gel filled breast implants are leaking, the FDA recommends an MRI at three years after surgery, and every two years after that, to check for a silent leak. For saline implants this is not necessary, as a leaking saline filled implant will become noticeably smaller.

If you are suspicious that there may be a leak, with the exception of surgery, an MRI is the best test available to check the integrity of silicone gel breast implants.

If you know there is a leak in your silicone gel filled breast implants, you should have them removed (and if desired replaced) sooner than later. If the gel leaks outside the implant capsule, your body will make more scar tissue in an attempt to wall off and contain the free silicone gel. The longer you wait, the more scar tissue will form.

You will not be able to get this done if you are pregnant. If you are pregnant, you will have to wait several months after delivery for the milk to dry up before you can have breast surgery.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Remove your ruptured implants now.

+1

I would remove the implants now. The silicone from 32 years ago was significantly more viscous than the present styles. It can dissect among the tissue planes. In the event you wait, and it becomes more symptomatic or even infected, surgery during pregnancy could be more complicated.

Silicone Implants Leaking after 30 years?

+1

If you have old implants that might be broken, you should see a surgeon about getting them replaced or removed. Your question must contain a typo, since your timelines don't make sense.  Silicone is one of the most common substances in products for consumption.  Syringes were lubricated with it.  Many common antacids and antigas remedies available over the counter have it, even stuff meant for babies.  That doesn't mean you should be complacent, though.  You should see a surgeon for some personal advice.  Mammography involves compressing the breast firmly between two surfaces, and taking an xray picture.  To set your mind at ease, you should consider removing them before getting pregnant.  Breast feeding should not be affected.

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD