If I Have a Leak in my Implant and is It Safe to Breast Feed?

I have saline implants and have been breastfeeding for six months. one morning my left breast lost alot of volume and looks alot smaller then the right. it feels like the top part disapeared. i am feeding on my right side only now and i dont have as much milk in the right side, so is it safe to feed on the left? i am unable to send a photo .

Breast Feeding Safe if Saline Breast implant has Leaked?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced.

You should, however have peace of mind that it will be safe to continue to breast-feed despite having experienced a saline breast implant leak. I would suggest that you follow-up with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon several months after you have stopped breast-feeding to discuss treatment options and your goals.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Leaking saline implant

+1

If your saline implant has deflated, it most likely would not interfere with you continuing to breast feed.

Saline Implant Looses Volume

+1

Dear Daisy,

Without photographs, it is hard to provide you with a definitive diagnosis.

Nonetheless, it looks like you have had a leak of the saline solution your left implant.

The saline is sterile and should not cause a contamination of the milk you are producing.

Eventually, you will need to replace your left deflated implant after you are done breastfeeding. Meanwhile, you may have your right implant drained by your surgeon with a local anesthesia to re-establish the symmetry of your breasts.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

There is no risk to breast feed after volume loss in your saline implant

+1

It sounds as though you have a partial or complete loss of volume in your saline implant.  The saline will have been absorbed by your body.  It was sterile.  It will not affect your baby or your breast milk.  After you have completed your breast feeding, contact your surgeon and get reassessed for replacement of your implant.  If the asymmetry is too significant, you can have your right implant drained with local and a needle so that your breasts are symmetric.  This would necessitate replacement of both implants at a later date however.  Enjoy your new addition.  Scott Barr, Md, FRCSC,  Barr Plastic Surgery

Sudbury Plastic Surgeon