Ptosis / Lazy Eye, Am I a Candidate for Upper Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

One of my eyes is bigger/more open and slightly yellower than the other. I don't know if that is the reason that I appear to have ptosis or i really do have a lazy eye.Also the sclera of one eye is slightly yellower than the other making the problem even more apparent. Do I really have a lazy eye.or do I just need to have upper Blepharoplasty?(There is some hooding above my eyes as well) What is my best recourse? plastic surgeon or opthamologist/oculofacial surgeon?. Please help!!

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

You appear to have upper lid ptosis (droopy), left side greater than right side.  That can be related underlying bony facial asymmetry or other factors.  You should consult an oculoplastic surgeon, with ASOPRS fellowship training.

Web reference: http://www.TabanMD.com

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You do not have ptosis

+1

From the pictures that you have attached, you do not have ptosis. You have uneven eyes and brow. Upper eyelid surgery will help you, but will not make your eyes even. There is fair amount of facial asymmetery that caan not be corrected with eyelid surgery.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoptosis - drooping upper eyelids

+1

Your questions cannot really be answered from just photos. The posted photos show some brow ptosis, some excess upper eyelid skin, outer corners of the eyes lower than the inner corners of the eyes (especially on the left) and a smaller eye opening (smaller distance between the eyelid edges) on the left. However you need a face to face physical examination to know how much each of these factors is contributing to the look of the upper eyelid. You cannot discern that from just a photo. During the examination finger manipulation can partially correct each factor and see how each factor contributes to the overall look.

I suspect you will need some combination of canthopexy to raise the outer corners of the eyes and levator surgery to correct the position of the left uppereyelid but it could turn out that a canthopexy alone will suffice. The main question is removal of upper eyelid skin vs. browlift. Given your high hair line and lack of forhead wrinkles browlift may not be feasible.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

No you do not appear to have a "lazy eye."

+1

When the term "lazy eye" is used, it has a specific meaning which is that vision did not develop in the eye due to a condition that is know to ophthalmologists as ambylopia.  Unless you know speficially that you have this condition, then no you do not have a lazy eye.  From the photos you demonstrate upper eyelid ptosis that is worse on the left side.  This can be addressed with surgery.  I recommend that you find a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon in your area who can help you.  The American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory that can help you find a well qualified surgoen in your area (asoprs.org).

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com