Lazy Eye and LASIK?

I have a lazy eye. Also, I have a strong level of nearsightness and astigmatism on that eye. I have no eye diseases or complications such as diabetes. I want to consider lasik surgery but I am too scared. Am I a good candidate for lasik surgery? If yes, which type of lasik surgery is right for me?

Amblyopia and Lasik

+3

You may be a good candidate for lasik surgery, but understand that the goal of lasik surgery is to get rid of glasses and contact lenses.  It will not fix your lazy eye. In other words it will not make your lazy eye see 20/20 like your other eye.

The lasik surgery that is right for you would require a lasik consultation including knowing your prescription and corneal thickness.  

Hope this helps.

Arlington Ophthalmologist

LASIK and Lazy Eye

+2

I don't operate on individuals with good correctable vision in only one eye.  Some people have a lazy eye because one eye is substantially more nearsighted in one eye than the other.  I offer such patients the opportunity for LASIK in their "bad" eye.  Surgery on the bad eye commonly improves the best corrected vision in that eye.  In my experience, many of these people then improve their vision in the lazy eye so that it becomes more useful.  Knowing with certainty, the potential vision in an eye is impossible.  The more that an eye is used, the better is the vision.  I urge you to see an experienced LASIK surgeon to discuss the potential of surgery on your more nearsighted, lazy eye.

Mark Golden, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist