Laser or Chemical Peel for Wrinkles Around Mouth and Eyes? (photo)

I am 56 years old and did have a face lift 10 years ago. I suffer with wrinkles around my mouth and eyes ( I have always had lots of movement in my face when I speak, laugh, eat etc.) one doctor has suggested face lift with chemical peel done at the same time, while I'm under. Another has suggested total FX laser to whole face. Someone else suggested fillers, botox and fraxel. I really don't know what to do.

Laser or Chemical Peel for Wrinkles Around Mouth and Eyes?

+4

Thanks for the posted photos. Sometimes the problem/s are more than one operation/treatment/therapy can accomplish. And in certain cases the older methods might apply. I would recommend a full face/neck lift as first operation. Than after 3 months a full face phenol or modified phenol peel. Just my thought after the Baker/Gordon text. 

Perioral and facial wrinkles best treated with peeling.

+3

Whether you have a deep Phenol peel or a CO2 laser you can expect good results.  Each has a plus and a minus.  Phenol gives a deep peel but with less control of depth even with an experienced surgeon. A CO2 laser gives precise control bit the redness can be more pronged.  Deep peels are best for light skinned blue or green eyed patients. 

Laser or Chemical peel for mouth and eye wrinkles

+3

Any form of deep resurfacing, either chemical, mechanical or laser can improve those wrinkles but often at the cost of permanent pigment changes. We have been using fractionated C02 resurfacing for about 4 years now and have been very pleased with the degree of wrinkle reduction it achieves without the risk of hypo-pigmentation. Fillers or Botox are unlikely to give you any worthwhile degree of improvement. Hope this helps!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

+2

Face Lifts last about 10 years, so if there is skin laxity ion the jowls a minimal incision Face Lift would be suggested.  Skin resurfacing using a CO2 or comprable Laser would be required to soften the deeper lines and wrinkles.  Hope this helps.  I performed many phenol face peels but due to the toxic nature of phenol to the heart and kidneys, the CO2 Laser has replaced these types of peels.

Laser or chemical peel for facial wrinkles

+2

None of the photos you submitted justify a recommendation for facelift as we cannot see the areas which one could reasonably expect to be improved with this procedure.  I agree with deep chemical peels or laser resurfacing but would avoid fractional lasers as you will be disappointed with the results.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Perioral and periorbital wrinkles

+2

I agree with Dr. Steinsapir in that deep resurfacing with its morbidity is the best way to get long term results in pale wrinkled skin. I prefer a phenol based peeling solution which is much more cost effective than use of expensive laser devices. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

A facelift will not improve the lower eyelid or lip area.

+2

For that reason, I would start with skin resurfacing.  I do not believe that fractionate CO2 will be adequate for your needs.  For that matter unfractionated CO2 will also not get the job done.  You have minimally pigmented skin so depigmentation is not a great concern for you.  In my office, I would recommend phenol 89% for these areas and generally a lighter peeling agent for the side of the face, like Trichloroacetic acid 35%.

Rejuvenation of the eye and perioral areas

+1

Since lines and wrinkles can be either superficial or deep, sometimes multiple treatments are indicated.  Fillers are good for deeper wrinkles and creases, while Botox is good for those creases caused by muscle movement, particularly around the eyes and upper lip.  Laser will improve the skin quality, but not always get rid of the wrinkles unless they are very fine superficial ones.  An experienced provider should be able to offer good advice in these areas.

James Carraway, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

All the things you mentioned can have good results in skilled hands. The most important thing is to choose your surgeon wisely.

+1

All the things you mentioned can have good results in skilled hands.  The most important thing is to choose your surgeon wisely.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS