Laser Resurfacing Along With Facelift. How Does it Feel and What is the Recovery Time? Okay to do at Same Time?

My doctor has recommended lazer resurfacing along with my facelift. I was told it was about like a severe sunburn. what is recovery time and is it safe to do both at the same time?

Laser Resurfacing

+1

There are different types of laser, and a great deal depends on what laser your surgeon will be using.  Generally, I use the Fractionated CO2 laser, very often alone, and also often in conjunction with facelift.  It is like a severe sun burn, and I tell my female patients that they are generally ready to go back to makeup in about 5 days. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and Laser Resurfacing or Chemical Peels Safe if Conservatively done

+1

Modified or Mini Facelift procedures with minimal undermining (e.g. LiteLift, MACS, Quick Lift, etc) and Laser Resurfacing using fractionated laser technology (e.g. Mixto, or Fraxel)  or Light to Medium grade medical Chemical Peels (e.g. Obagi Blue TCA peel) are generally safe if conservatively done and not in smokers.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Facelift surgery and laser resurfacing can be safely combined

+1

Facelift surgery and laser resurfacing can be safely combined. The downtime is dependent upon which laser is used but is typically 1-3 weeks. Given that the facelift recovery takes 1-2 weeks you can see that the laser resurfacing will slightly increase your downtime. However, these two procedures can and are frequently performed safely.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, laser resurfacing can be combined with facelift and be performed at the same time.

+1

Yes, laser resurfacing can be combined with facelift and be performed at the same time.  The initial recovering is 2-3 weeks but it will take 6-8 weeks for you to see your results develop. 

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Can lasers be used to perform facelifts?

+1

Laser resurfacing can be combined conservatively with facelifts in experienced hands.  Lasers can also be used to help perform the facelift as well.

Not ready for a complete facelift? You can combine laser skin tightening with the Smartlipo laser beneath the skin and laser resurfacing of the surface of the skin with a CO2 laser and get the "next best thing" to a  facelift.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you want to do facial laser resurfacing at the same time you have a face lift, we recommend you not laser the same area as where the lift is being done.  For instance if you have a face lift but are not correcting the upper and lower eyelid area you could laser around your eyes.  Another great place for laser resurfacing while having a face lift is around your mouth.  Recovery time is usually 10 to 14 days with laser resurfacing and facial plastic surgery.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Laser Resurfacing Along With Facelift

+1

Laser Resurfacing can be combined with facelift, and we frequently do so. If you are interested in full face laser and facelift, ensure the surgeon is experienced and expert in the combination to minimize risks. Recovery of the combination is longer depending on the laser utilized and the aggressiveness of the procedure. Depending on the laser, the description of a severe sunburn is accurate.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Laser Resurfacing Along With Facelift

+1

Laser resurfacing can be done at the same time as a facelift but in a very conservative manner.  It is safe to perform laser skin resurfacing around areas such as the eyes and mouth at the time of a facelift, but much care must be taken to protect the areas that have been undermined during the facelift surgery.  You could also wait about four weeks after your facelift and then receive full laser skin resurfacing after you've healed so that the practitioner can safely work on the whole face.  The choice must be made after conversation with your plastic surgeon about the risks and benefits of both options.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Laser

+1

Laser resurfacing  can be done at the same time as a facelift.  Most surgeons are okay doing laser on a few areas, most commonly around the mouth, at the same time.  Doing a full face laser at the same time can be a bit riskier.  In either case, lasering  will cause your recovery to be significantly longer, depending on the type of laser used and the number of areas treated.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Laser Resurfacing and Facelift Combined

+1

Skin resurfacing, using either laser or chemical peel techniques, can really complement the results from facelift surgery. This is because it treats many other skin problems that a facelift does not and affects the entire face. It can be done very safely with a facelift provided it is done more superficially over the areas of the undermined skin flaps. It does not signficantly extend the recovery although it may look horrendous the first few days after surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD