How to Lay Down After Multiple Surgeries?

I'm having a Tummy Tuck, Brazilian Butt Lift, Liposuction, and Breast Implants all done in one surgery. How will I lay down?

Brazilian butt lift results compromised by multiple procedure

+6

Mulitple procedure done at the same time with a Brazilian butt lift will compromise your final results.

In my practice, I perform butt reshaping very frequently. To answer your question in regard to having multiple procedures done at the same time, including a tummy tuck, you have to understand what involves the postoperative recovery of the fat transfer procedure to the buttock area and what the procedure is about. The fact is that as much fat as possible is needed to reshape the person’s butt and make it proportionate to the body frame. In other words, fat will be taken from the abdomen, flanks, back, and axilla among other areas. Now, after surgery, you can’t sit constantly on the buttock for approximately 10-14 days to make sure the fat is not damaged. If going to the bathroom, the person can just sit for 5 minutes. That’s it.

Now, let’s think about the tummy tuck. You will have an incision on your lower abdomen that will hurt so most likely you won’t be able to lie on your stomach for some days. Let’s say you have a tummy tuck and a Brazilian butt lift. You won’t be able to lie on your back due to the Brazilian butt augmentation nor on your chest because of the tummy tuck. In other words, your recovery will be unbearable.

This is not a matter of having multiple procedures done at the same time. In fact, multiple procedures at the same time like a tummy tuck and a breast surgery (Mommy makeover) could be done but not together with the Brazilian butt lift. In my practice, I perform the Brazilian butt lift first, harvest as much fat as possible, and then do a tummy tuck at least 6 months after the procedure, if the patient needs it. This will depend on how your skin will respond to liposuction.

In my practice, some of my patients have indicated me that certain surgeons recommend having multiple procedures done with the buttock augmentation.  On further questioning, they even recommend having a tummy tuck and also the butt augmentation while the patients are on their back on the surgical table. Injecting the butt with fat when the patients are lying on their back is a bad idea. You will need to be on your chest for the surgeon to visualize the areas of deficiency and inject the buttock properly. In addition, if you take into consideration the surgical implications of both procedures, you come to the conclusion that it is not possible. For example, when you close the incision for a tummy tuck, many times the patient’s belly needs to be bent forward to excise the excess abdominal skin. Consequently, this will prevent the patient from lying on the chest for the buttock procedure once the tummy tuck is done.

Understanding the postoperative recovery is as important as the surgery itself. In conclusion, I do not recommend having any procedure done in addition to the butt sculpting procedure since you will compromise your recovery and long-term results

Beware of combination plastic surgery

+4

The combination of procedures that you list is not recommended. After fat grafting to the buttock, it is recommended that you keep pressure off of the treated area for several days. After a tummy tuck, it difficult to lie flat in bed. After an augmentation, its unwise to lie on your stomach. 

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Will be difficult

+4

First of all, make sure that you are not doing too much surgery at one time. It is nice to try to get everything done at one surgery, but it may be too much stress on your body or make your recovery too uncomfortable. In most cases, however, you should be fine. Just make sure that you have a comfortable bed and or chair with lots of pillows for positioning. Also make sure you have someone that can help you for the first few days after surgery since it may be difficult to move on your own.

David Shafer, MD

Best position after multiple procedures

+3

Hi there-

I'm not sure I would recommend the combination you are contemplating- most importantly because the appropriate positioning for recovery from one procedure may complicate your recovery from the other.

I would not want you lying on your back after a Brazilian Butt Lift, and I would definitely not want you on your side or abdomen after breast augmentation.

If I were you I would ask my surgeon how they would recommend you position yourself after surgery.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Postop Positioning

+3

Laying on your back with some pillows under your knees and thighs and pillows behind your back.

I would however discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  And please make sure that you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for all that surgery you are having done.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

No comfortable position for recovery when multiple surgeries are performed

+3

Good question to ask your surgeon. There are some that would dissuade you from performing all of these together. But It is likely that your surgeon has performed this combination before.

IT may be recommendedt for you to get some kind of supportive surface at the very least such as an egg crate mattress, etc There is controversy as to whether you shoudl lay on your back after Brazilian Buitt lift but, in all reality, that is where you will end up..

Multiple procedures an post-op positioning

+2

This is a question that you should ask your operating surgeon. But, if you were my patient I would have you in a "lazy-boy" chair position with your abdomen flexed a bit.

Multiple surgeries

+2

Hi,

Please think very carefully about having so much surgery done at once. This subjects your body to a significant amount of stress and your recovery will be prolonged. Cosmetic surgery is elective, and the most important thing is your safety. Be sure that you understand the risks you are incurring, and that these have been explained to you fully. Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS