Laxity in Abdomen After Weight Loss. Am I A Candidate For An Abdominoplasty? (photo)

I am a 175 pound, 5'10", 28-year-old male. Approximately four years ago, I lost approximately 100 pounds via diet and exercise. This has left the skin in my abdomen very lax, leaving me uncomfortable with its appearance, especially when sitting. (While standing, the deformity is less obvious.) Does an abdominoplasity seem appropriate for me? What is an ideal body fat percentage for such a procedure, and do I need to lose more weight?

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Based on your photos and your description, it appears that you are a candidate for a tummy tuck. I agree with my colleagues who have suggested a skin only tummy tuck.  Based on your BMI, I don't think you need to lose any more weight.  I think cardio (ie running) can help tighten loose skin, but that probably won't completely tighten your skin after losing 100 pounds.  

I advise you to visit with at least one board certified plastic surgeon and wish you all the best.

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Laxity in Abdomen After Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. Based on your description and photos, you appear to be a candidate for a skin only tummy tuck to remove the excess skin. An in person and exam will be required to verify the recommendation. To explore your options, you should consult in person with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Congratulations on your weight loss! You are a suitable candidate for abdominoplasty.

+1

It's wonderful to hear about your weight loss!

I have seen many patients after massive weight loss and though they're generally happy with shedding the weight, they're often left with loose skin that takes away from their enjoyment of the result. 

Judging from your photos and the measurements you've provided, it appears that you probably only require the removal of excess skin, since you've got great muscle definition and little visible fat. Your BMI is 25.1, which makes you suitable for abdominoplasty. As long as your weight is stable and you're in relatively good physical and emotional health, the procedure seems appropriate for you.

It's difficult to say what the ideal body fat percentage for abdominoplasty is, but your BMI is often a better indicator. A BMI less than 25 is often ideal.

Again, great work on the weight loss!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Laxity of abdomen can be successfully addressed with a tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for the excellent photo documentation of your situation as well as providing the relevant information needed for a helpful answer. It appears (without examination) that you do have significant laxity of the skin and without much excess fat. Depending on your goals, a tummy tuck procedure would be an appropriate one that would address this excess skin. Unless you want or are aiming at losing some more weight, there is no reason to lose more in order to undergo a tummy tuck.

You should seek a consultation with one or more board certified plastic surgeons and then make your decisions. Good luck!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Laxity in Abdomen After Weight Loss. Am I A Candidate For An Abdominoplasty?

+1

Your posted photos demonstrate a candidate for skin only TT. Best to be seen in person by boarded PSs in your area. 

Abdominoplasty for skin laxity

+1

Abdominoplasty remains the gold standard treatment for significant redundant excess skin of the abdomen.  Noninvasive techniques such as laser, RF, and IR are most efffective for patients with minimal skin laxity.  While muscle tightening procedures are common in women, especially after pregnancy, they are much less frequently used in the male abdominoplasty.  A physical examination would help delineate whether a mini or full abdominoplasty would be best for you.

Glen Brooks, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty after weight loss

+1
i think you would benefit from abdominoplasty and that, given the extent of skin redundancy, minimally invasive procedures would not produce a satisfactory result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck?

+1

Thanks for your question and photos.  From your pictures, you look very fit and trim, and your muscles look well developed and adequately tight.  There are some decent options to tighten your skin using minimally invasive technologies (such as ultrasound, RF, laser) in combination with liposculpting to promote collagen stimulation and tighten the skin if your skin quality is good.  Otherwise a mini-tummy tuck or mini-abdominoplasty are excellent options to remove the excess skin and improve the appearance of these folds.  Remember that most young and fit people will have some folds and the appearance of excess skin when they sit and would not be good candidates for a tummy tuck.  Only a full evaluation and discussion of your personal goals will give you the best options.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty after weight loss

+1

Thanks for the question-- based on your photos, you are a very good candidate for an abdominoplasty-- The goal here being to take away the excess and lax skin. As a male, it would be uncommon for you to need muscle tightening too, it appears from your images that your abdominal muscles are in good shape and position. The trade-off that you will make is that you can get a very tight and firm abdomen, but will have a low transverse scar from the skin excision. You may also be a good candidate for liposuction or Liposonix treatment for the love handles, but I would recommend holding on that until your abdominoplasty results are stable.

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss for Men

+1

As long as your weight loss has stabilized and you are in good health, you would likely benefit from a tummy tuck procedure to 1) remove excess skin and fat and 2) tighten up your abdominal wall.   Please visit with a  board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS