I had full tummy tuck 1/14/14. This morning when I woke up my ankle was swollen. Should I be concerned?

I slept in my recliner last night and woke up to my left ankle swollen. Should I be concerned ??

Swollen ankle after tummy tuck

How old are you? Have you ever had a problem with clotting? Blood clots can be common after an Abdominoplasty. Have you called your Doctor?

2419 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33609

Swollen ankle after Tummy Tuck

Hi Amy, I agree with the other surgeons, a swollen ankle is not necessarily dangerous, but in some cases can be a sign of a blood clot in your calf which can occasionally occur after tummy tuck surgery. 

I think to be on the safe side it would be best to go and see your plastic surgeon to get this checked out as blood clots can in some cases be quite a serious health problem.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

BMI Paddocks Clinic, Aylesbury Road
Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire HP27 0JS

Swelling needs to be evaluated

Thanks for your question. I agree with everyone, that it is unlikely to be serious. Since it is new onset though, you probably need to have it evaluated to rule out anything serious. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

3003 Bee Caves Road
Austin, TX 78746

Swelling of the feet after a tummy tuck

It is not uncommon to have swelling of the lower extremities and the feet after a tummy tuck. New swelling however could be a concern. There is always the risk of a blood clot. It is important that you see your surgeon right away to make sure nothing is being missed.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

799 E Hampden Ave
Englewood, CO 80113

Swelling of the ankle 10 days post op after an abdominoplasty

Swelling of the ankles in and of itself is not unusual after an abdominoplasty however it can be a sign of a more serious problem.  We are all concerned about the development of blood clots of the lower extremities.  Swelling can be a symptom of the development of deep vein thrombosis.  It would be best for your to notify your plastic surgeon of this symptom and you may need a physical evaluation.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Swollen ankles 2 weeks after tummy tuck.

Swollen ankles can be a sign of fluid retention after surgery or something more serious. Have your plastic surgeon see you and evaluate you NOW to make sure you have not developed vein clots in your leg.  An examination by your doctor and vein ultrasound evaluations may be indicated.... 

The onset of shortness of breath should be of immediate concern (go NOW to your hospital emergency room for evaluation)...

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

559 E. Pikes Peak Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3651

Ankle swelling after surgery

Amy, My first concern would be a blood clot in your leg. See your  surgeon as soon as possible to rule this out.

Gregory Pisarski, MD, FACS

504 This Way
Lake Jackson, TX 77566

Swollen ankle

HI Amypatton.  Probably not, since your body retains fluid after  surgery.  That being said, a swollen leg and painful calf could be caused by a blood clot in your leg.  I suggest you call your plastic surgeon to discuss your symptoms.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

5899 Bremo Road
Richmond, VA 23226

Leg swelling after tummy tuck

I agree, unilateral leg swelling after tummy tuck needs to be evaluated ASAP. A quick and easy venous duplex ultrasound will determine if there is a deep venous thrombosis.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

3805 Edwards Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45209

Swollen ankle 2 weeks post op tummy tuck

Dear Amy
I completely agree with Dr. Ladocsi. It's probably nothing, but we can't tell through the internet so you should call your plastic surgeon and discuss your symptoms with him or her.  A blood clot in the leg is serious and can lead to even more serious complications.  This is the reason we insist you call your surgeon. Always better to be safe than sorry. Best of luck. 

Luis H. Macias, MD

4644 Lincoln Boulevard
Marina del Rey, CA 90292