Laughing/Smiling/Yawning After Septorhinoplasty

Can I laugh/smile/yawn after septo and rhinoplasty? Will this ruin my results? I still have my splint on and I am 4 days post-op. It was an open rhinoplasty - the tip was further defined and the hump was removed.

Laughing,Smiling,Yawning after Rhinoplasty

+2

I advise patients to avoid strenuous activites for 2-3 weeks after rhinoplasty. I define "strenuous" as anything that raises the blood pressure, pulse, or breathing rate. Avoid activities with a risk of nasal trauma for 6 weeks. Normal laughing, smiling, or yawning will not violate any of these restrictions.

Laughing, Smiling or Yawning after Septorhinoplasty

+2

Regarding: "Laughing/Smiling/Yawning After Septorhinoplasty
Can I laugh/smile/yawn after septo and rhinoplasty? Will this ruin my results? I still have my splint on and I am 4 days post-op. It was an open rhinoplasty - the tip was further defined and the hump was removed
."

I fully understand your hesitation to "do anything wrong" that may destroy or impact on your operation. But - if the repair of your nose was so poor and fragile that you could not afford to breath, smile or yawn, you would have much greater things to worry about.

While I would advise you not to engage in physical activity which would raise your blood pressure in the first 3-4 weeks and avoid sports or activities where your nose may be hit for 4-6 months, I see nothing wrong with smiling or yawning.

So, go ahead and smile! The worst is over.

Dr. Aldea