Could Using Latisse Stop my Eyelashes from Falling Out?

The eyelashes in my right eye seem to be falling out for no reason.  My other eye is fine.  What could be the reason for this?  Also, would eyelash growth medication like Latisse stop my eyelashes from falling out? 

Possible Alopecia Areata

+1

The most likely cause for this would be a condition called alopecia areata. While alopecia areata normally causes circular bald patches on the scalp, there are a number of cases in which the eyelashes fall out while the scalp remaines normal. Nutritiional deficiencies would be another far less likely cause. Occasionally, this can be caused by trichotillomania, i.e. you are plucking the hair out yourself. However, you or someone in your family, would realize this was going on.

Alopecia Areata is a condition in which for reasons best known to no one, the body begins to produce antibodies and chemicals to its own hair follicles. This causes the hair to stop growing and fall out.

There are no studies showing that Latisse would work for this condition. However, Rogaine is often used for its scalp counterpart and I see no reason for not trying it. When Rogaine is used for alopecia areata of the scalp, it does not cure the condition and when the patient stops using it, the hair resumes its original course.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist