Can Latisse Be Used on Sections of the Eyelid?

My 45 year old sister complains about her eyelashes a lot. She wants her eyelashes towards the outer edge of her eyes to be longer than the ones on the inside of her eye. So her lashes look sort of like the Latisse logo, thinner at the center, but thick and long at the edges. If I get her Latisse, could she apply it, not to her entire upper lash, but only from the middle out to grow her outer lashes? I know it won't grow perfectly gradual outwards, but could it be done, along with some trimming?

Latisse to the latter aspect of the lash line

+2

Sure this can work.  It will stimulate the hair follicles where it is applied.  She may see some increased growth directly beside the region where Latisse is placed, but she can strategically place it toward the lateral aspect of her lash line to give a greater length/fullness in this region.

Huntersville Ophthalmologist

Latisse works where applied

+2

Latisse is activated where you apply it. It is a prescription medication for inadequate, or not enough lashes. That said wherever you apply it, even just a potion of the eyelash, you will see an increase in the lashes grown, their thickness and even darker lashes. Make sure wherever your sister gets her prescription, someone explains the contraindications.

For example, although she may have excess product, it should be thrown out after one-month.

Latisse consultations are complimentary at Victoria Park. 

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculpting eyelashes with Latisse

+2

Since Latisse works by increasing the amount of time each eyelash hair remains in the growing phase, it seems perfectly safe to apply it selectively to certain areas where you want longer lashes. Makes sense to give it a try. Careful trimming should be helpful as well.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Not using Latisse on the entire eyelash is fine

+2

Latisse will allow hairs and eyelashes to grow wherever it is placed, as long as the follicle there is alive. So if people do want to "sculpt" their eyelashes let's say, and just have the outer ones grow more, then yes, simply apply the product only from the middle of the eye outward to the end. It's fine to do that, but make sure she really only uses 1 drop for both eyes, as she's not going to need a lot of product--she's only doing half the area!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Well, it could work!

+2

This seems like a first, but one of my patients did try something like this with her eyebrows - and she was happy with the outcome. There was some trimming involved, though! I would be very interested in your sister's results.

Good luck!

Renita Lourdhurajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist

Latisse and designer lashes

+1

Since Latisse only has effect on growing lashes where it is applied, your sister can definitely limit the areas where she uses it and will still have the lengthening effect.  She can be creative and have designer lashes!

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

+1

Yes, you can apply the Latisse anywhere on the lash line that you wish.  It comes with individual disposable applicators that should last you about a month.  You apply it like liquid eyeliner.  You would need to make a consultation for Latisse to be instructed on proper use.  You can also apply to your eyebrows.  Latisse does require a prescription.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS