Latisse Safe on Someone with Cataract?

I want to use Latisse, but a year ago, my doctor said I'm having a cataract building up, but still a long way before I could have surgery. I'm 51-years-old, the only problem with my vision is that I need reading glasses and my doctor prescribed me 200 for my eye glasses. I've only known Latisse recently. Do you think it's safe for me?

For anyone with Ophthalmic issues, always check with your Ophthalmologist

+4

Latisse is a medication which falls under the catagory of "prostaglandin analogs", and has been used in the past to treat glaucoma (high eye pressure). It has been used safely in senile cataract patients.

However, it is always best to get clearance from your own Ophthalmologist if you have any ocular condition. In most cases, there should be no effect on cataracts. Yet there is a small subset of cataracts that are secondary to inflammatory conditions, and you do not want to use Latisse in an eye that has any kind of inflammation (as prostaglandin analogs can prolong an inflammatory condition).

Always check with an Ophthalmologist.

Los Angeles Ophthalmologist

Safety of Latisse with Cataracts

+2

Whenever you have any eye condition (such as cataracts) you should check with your ophthalmologist to make certain that Latisse will be safe for you to use. The eye is exposed to a very small amount of Latisse even when it is properly applied as directed to the upper eyelid margin using the supplied applicator. This has been demonstrated by applying a colored dye to the eyelid margin and watching its migration. Side effects from the initial studies showed less than 4 percent of people experienced redness, irritation and itching of the upper eyelid, which was reversed upon discontinuation.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.