Are There Any Risks That Could Pose Permanent Damage from Latisse?

Is Latisse truly safe? I am concerned about eyesight and appearance. I do not suffer from any eyelash problem; just short, fine lashes. I wonder if I should wait a year or so to see what happens to others.

Risks of Using Latisse

+1

Fortunately, side effects from Latisse are quite uncommon. Over two million prescriptions for Latisse have now been filled with no confirmed reports of iris pigmentation issues. Less than 4 percent of people experienced redness, irritation and itching of the upper eyelid which was reversible upon discontinuation. The irritation can sometimes lead to darkening of the skin on the upper eyelid where the Latisse has been applied. This can actually be a good thing if you use eyeliner.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse is truly safe for most people

+1

Debby, while Latisse is new on the market, the medication bimatoprost (the active ingredient in Latisse) has been approved in the United States since 2002 to treat glaucoma. It is one of the most commonly prescribed medications to treat glaucoma, because it is so safe.

Most people who would like to have longer, more full lashes can safely use Latisse. There are a few things to consider before using it. First, if you have any history of inflammation in your eye, you may not be a candidate for Latisse. If you are planning any surgery on your eyes or eyelids, or if you have an infection of your eyes or eyelids, you should wait until you are back to normal before starting it. It is possible that the skin around your eyes could get darker, or your eyes could get red or irritated. These are all reversible.

Finally, there is a very rare possibility that Latisse could cause the color of your eyes to permanently get darker. I believe that this has never happened to someone using Latisse as directed, but it has happened (rarely) to people who use bimatoprost for glaucoma.

I recommend that you talk to your eye doctor or your cosmetic surgeon to be sure that it is safe for you.

Nancy Swartz, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon