Does Latisse Work Better Than Revitalash?

Does Latisse work better than Revitalash?  I still have a lot of Revitalash left, and I'm not sure if it's worth if for me to switch to Latisse...

Latisse is the only FDA approved lash growth product

+6

Before the FDA approval of Latisse, Revitalash and another product named LashMD both came on the market for the purpose of lengthening and thickening lashes. Both did a very respectable job and we carried LashMD until it was no longer available.

The proprietary ingredient, bimatropost, is patented by Allergan and in smaller volume bottles is marketed as the prescription glaucoma drug Lumigan. (Purpose of use and directions for use are completely different for the two products even though the product is the same solution!) Allergan went through the process of FDA approval to be able to promote bimatropost as a prescription for insufficicent eyelashes. As such, Latisse is the ONLY FDA approved lash growth product.

Latisse requires a prescription so that users will need to see a doctor or be a current patient prior to being able to buy the product. This is in place for patient safety. In my practice, we verify a patient's chart before issuing a prescription. New patients simply need to stop in for a complimentary consult so we can medically rule out any eye conditions that would make the product unsafe for them to use and properly instruct them on use. Too much or improperly applied product could create some unwanted effect.

Too, some people may have underlying eye disease that would mean they should not use this or similar products around their eyes. As a class C drug, it is not recommended for use during pregnancy or breastfeeding. It is this dedication to safety for patients that makes FDA approved Latisse a preferred product over other cosmetic products which do not disclose ingredients or precautions.

Pricing will probably be very similar or maybe a little less than the "street price" of Revitalsh. Allergan adds individual applicators to the Latisse packaging so there is no cross contamination from one eye to the other.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Revitalash or Latisse

+4

My suggestion would be to use up your Revitalash (we used to sell it but no longer do) and then switch to Latisse.

Latisse is the same price (actually $5 cheaper than we used to sell Revitalash for) and it works better because the active ingredient that is used in Latisse was removed from Revitalash in the recent past based on a lawsuit between the two companies that produce the products.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Latisse works faster and makes lashes darker

+4

You will notice the results of Latisse much quicker than Revitalash (or the other non FDA-approved eyelash growing products). Also, Latisse is reported to make the lashes longer, thicker, AND darker while Revitalash makes them longer and thicker (NOT darker).

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Both will work, but Latisse has studies showing proven results

+4

Revitalash works well for many people. Reviatalash's new formulation has a different ingredient than bimatoprost, but it is still a prostaglandin-related analog that has the same side effect of growing hair. They had to change their formulation within the last year, but it is still effective and the results can be dramatic. However, this is labelled as a cosmetic by the FDA, not as a drug; therefore, studies to prove consistent results haven't been done to the best of my knowledge.

Latisse has the same ingredient as the glaucoma drug, Lumigan (made by Allergan). This medication has been extensively studied and the effects on eyelash growth, fullness, and thickness studied. This medication has been proven to predictably and reliably grow eyelashes in approximately 80% of people using it. It is FDA approved, and you won't be able to get it without a prescription from your doctor.

If you have revitalash, and it works for you, there is no need to go get Latisse. But, if the Revitalash you have is not giving you any results, it may be worthwhile to try Latisse when it's released.

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Latisse Works Better then Revitilash

+3

Both products used to contain the same active ingrediant.  However, Revitilash has since changed it's formulation and now is much less effective (it does not contain prescription ingrediants). 

Grant Stevens, MD

Latisse vs Revitalash

+3

These are two different things entirely. Revitalash is an eyelash conditioner that claims to improve the appearance of your lashes. Latisse is 0.03% bimatoprost ophthalmic solution that has a long history. It has been used for years as a glaucoma medication. Patent's who used it were found to have to trim their lashes. So Allergan turned it into an eyelash grower. It will lengthen your lashes 25% and thicken them 105%. The company states that it takes 16 weeks to works. My secretary has been on it for 8 and has seen little progress. After 4 weeks my wife's lashes look fantastic. So clearly it's different for everybody.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Yes, Latisse works better than Revitalash

+3

Latisse is the only FDA-approved prescription treatment used to grow eyelashes. Latisse make the eyelashes longer, thicker and darker. Revitalash, on the other side, improves only the length and the thickness of the lashes, not the color, and it isn't FDA-approved. Revitalash is a cosmetic conditioner, not an active ingredient.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Latisse has clinical trials and FDA approval, Revitalash does not

+3

We considered bringing Revitalash into our practice when it first came out, but decided against it. Since there was no scientific study to back the anecdotal claims, we weren't comfortable recommending it to our patients.

Latisse, on the other hand, won approval by the FDA based on their scientific studies and clinical trials. I have attached a link to the unretouched photos from the clinical trials so you can see the difference. In addition, the applicator is designed for opthamological use because of it's sterile packaging.

The Interesting Story Behind Latisse:

You may not know that Latisse was discovered completely by accident! What started out as a clinical trial for a known glaucoma treatment turned out to have a highly desired side-effect - significantly longer eyelashes.

When the glaucoma eyedrop known as Lumigan entered its third phase of clinical studies, Allergan researchers noticed the drug's eyelash-enhancing effects and the company soon started considering the cosmetic applications that could be derived from it's active ingredient, bimatoprost. Applied directly to the base of the lashes, Latisse keeps hairs in their growth phase, producing longer, darker and thicker eyelashes. It contains a much smaller amount of bimatoprost than Lumigan, as it is intended for daily use.

Many medical breakthroughs have been made in a similar way. Alexander Fleming's unexpected discovery of penicillin is the most famous example. Fleming was conducting research on the flu and noticed that mold was growing in one of his petri dishes. Upon closer inspection, he realized that the area with the mold had no bacteria and proceeded to develop our very first antibiotic.

A more recent accidental breakthrough is Viagra. Most people don’t realize that Viagra was originally intended as a cardiovascular drug. Early in the clinical trials, scientists at Pfizer realized that it was not effective in treating heart ailments, but they decided to continue to study one of the drug's unexpected side effects.

Incidentally, for years Botox was used as a treatment for nerve spasms around the eye and vocal chords, before its famous wrinkle reducing properties became apparent.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Latisse vs. Revitalash

+2
Latisse is FDA approved for growing lashes. Revitalash is not FDA approved. In my Raleigh, NC plastic surgery practice we offer Latisse and we do not offer Revitalash. However, if Revitalash is working for you and you are pleased with the results continue using the product until it is all used. You may wish you consider using Latisse when you have used your supply of Latisse. In order for either of these products to be effective it is important to remember to use these products each evening.
In my practice we offer Latisse to patients at the wholesale price of $79.00 Patients report that each bottle lasts about 2 months.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Latisse Works Better

+1

About Latisse:

• Works better than Revitalash
  • It also has the FDA approval and studies to back up the results.
  • Made from bimatoprost, which is proven to cause hair growth.
  • Allergan, the maker's of Latisse, own the patent on bimatoprost, therefore Latisse is the only product for lash or hair growth with bimatoprost.

About Revitalash:

• Considered by FDA as a cosmetic, so it does not go through the approval process
  • Does not have a study to support the results
  • Recently changed their formula

If you are happy with your results with Revitalash, then continue to use it, but know that only Latisse is an FDA approved drug for lash growth.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologist