Can I Use Latisse if I Have Macular Degeneration?

Latisse Use In Patients with Macular Degeneration and Cataracts

+1

The use of Latisse in patients who have macular degeneration or cataracts is not contraindicated.  Latisse is a product that is used to lengthen, thicken and elongate the eyelashes. It is applied along the upper eyelid margin once nightly for the first 12 weeks, then every other or every third night,  thereafter,  to maintain the effect. Latisse should be stopped about 3 days before cataract surgery or Lasik surgery, but can be started again about one week after surgery.

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Latisse and Macular Degeneration

+1

The eye is exposed to a very small amount of Latisse even when it is properly applied as directed to the upper eyelid margin using the supplied applicator. This has been demonstrated by applying a colored dye to the eyelid margin and watching its migration. At present, use of Latisse is considered safe if you have macular degeneration but should only be used under the guidance of your ophthalmologist.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse with Macular Degeneration

+1

Yes, you can use Latisse even if you have macular degeneration.  You should continue to be followed by your Ophthalmologist regularly for monitoring of any progression of macular degeneration.  Any subtle changes in your vision need to be reported to your Ophthalmologist, however, there is minimal chance for any penetration of Latisse into the eye when applied correctly.  There are a few published reports of eyedrops in the same class as Latisse, causing some swelling of the retina in post-operative cases or rarely in wet macular degeneration, so you should consult with your Ophthalmologist throughout treatment.

Michelle Crosby, MD, PhD
Encinitas Ophthalmologist

The short answer is yes

+1

In general, Latisse applied properly to eyelashes does not penetrate the ocular surface in as high concentrations as Lumigan, which is the glaucoma eyedrop which is chemically identical to Latisse.  Many macular degeneration patients have used Lumigan eyedrops without any contraindication from the FDA or manufacturer.  That said, ask your ophthalmologist next visit.

Benjamin Ticho, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist

Latisse and macular degeneration

+1

Consult your ophthalmologist about this - Latisse is a prostaglandin analog.  This class of of medication has been associated with cystoid macular edema which is distinct from macular degeneration.  There was a paper published in 2006 that looked at prostaglandin analogs used for glaucoma and its association with the development of choroidal neovascular membrances (wet AMD) in patients with both glaucoma and AMD and they found no association.   

However, I would discuss this with your eye doctor to determine what the best thing for your eyes are.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can I use Latisse if I have Macular Degeneration?

+1

The simple answer is probably but given the fact that you do have a pretty serious condition, I would strongly recommend checking with your opthalmologist before using Latisse. 

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Latisse

+1

You have a serious diagnosis of macular degeneration. Do not complicate things and do not use any thing without asking your ophthalmologist.