Could Latisse Cause Lashes to Fall off when Curling?

I have met two women this past month that have concerns about using Latisse and the side effects. Could this cause the lashes to become fragile and fall out when curling lashes?

Latisse

+1

The stimulated growth of lashes by latisse produce normal lashes. There is increase in length and color. NO EVIDENCE OF INCREASED FRAGILITY. At least none reported. The only reported side effect is lid skin pigmentation.

Latisse and lash loss

+1

If you are noticing an increase in lash loss, it is most probably due to the eyelash curler.  There have not been reports of lash loss with Latisse, but there have been many reports of lash loss with curlers. 

One other thing: check your thyroid. A low thyroid can cause lash loss.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Latisse does not increase fragility in lashes

+1

Lashes have their own growth cycle just like any hair. Latisse prolongs the active growth cycle and this is how you get longer lashes from using the product. Lash hairs are programmed to "fall out" long before hair on the scalp; otherwise we'd be having lash hair cuts so we could see!

If there is any noticed increase in lash shedding, it is more likely a result of the curler...and too, Latisse allows more lashes to be present at one time - another reason you notice fuller lash appearance with Latisse. So theoretically you could see more lash sheddding simply because there are more lashes to shed!

I'm concerned about anyone using a curler for lashes as this is a notorious practice that leads to lash loss, both on a temporary and permanent basis. The every day traction caused by the curler is unhealthy for lashes and can loosen them from the follicle - (think what would happen if you pulled on the same 50 hairs on your head every day!)

There has been no report of lash loss with Latisse. Your problem lies in using a mechanical device that literally can pull the lash hairs out by their roots.

Nasrin Mani, MD
La Jolla Ophthalmologist

Lashes that fall out while using Latisse

+1

Lashes that fall out may while curling or any other time, may indicate an ocular disorder such as blepharitis. I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD and have your eyes examined. Treatment of the underlying condition may help maintain your eyelashes. 

Sandy Feldman, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

Latisse and reports of eyelashes falling out while curling

+1

To the best of my knowledge, I have not heard of this complaint amongst the patients that have used the product. I will inquire but this is not a commonly reported problem and may represent an unusual side effect.