Is it better to get Latisse or eyelash extensions?

Do you think it'ss better to get Latisse or eyelash extensions? Also I am seeing the average cost of $125- Is that the total cost, the cost of the dr visit, or the cost of the prescription? How does the price break up? What kinds of doctors prescribe Latisse?

Latisse

+1
The benefit to using Latisse is that is your own natural eyelashes that grow darker, longer and thicker.  You do not have artificial eyelashes and glue on/around your eye.  Latisse in our office is $179.99 + tax for a 5 ml bottle that will last for 2 months, there are no additional fees. 

Provo Plastic Surgeon

Latise vs Eyelash Extensions

+1
Latisse costs only $68 per bottle. It is less expensive to use Latisse that to use false eyelashes. help to make your own natural lashes longer, thicker, and darker.  The lashes are your own, just longer. Eyelash extensions can look great, although not always easy to apply. The results of Latisse are yours as long as you continue using the product. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Latisse vs. lash extensions

+1
Thank you for your question, I would recommend Latisse over eyelash extensions. Latisse is more gentle on your natural lashes which will give you long term improvement where lash extensions can cause breakage and damage, leaving you in a worse place then when you started. Latisse, used over 6 weeks will show noticeable results of more length and volume. You can get Latisse in most cosmetic doctors offices; the product price starts at $120 and goes up depending on what size bottle you are getting.

Best wishes
-Pablo Prichard

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Latisse

+1
Latisse is better for for your lashes than lash extensions.  Prices vary. 

Dr. Grant Stevens                Marina Plastic Surgery Associates                  Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Latisse vs eyelash extensions

+1
In my opinion, Latisse is a better option because it's not damaging and it's not "fake" looking. I see many, many people over time who damage their lids, follicles, and lashes from extensions. Remember that Latisse is your own lashes. There is no glue or anything applied and you won't have any damage should you stop using it. Lash extensions have to be maintained and reapplied, and there can be severe damage to the lashes if you stop doing it, namely it pulls out your lashes and they may not regrow. The normal price for a 3ml bottle of Latisse is $120, and a 5ml bottle is $179. Also there is a program called Brilliant Distinctions (from Allergan, the manufacturers of Latisse) that is a "frequent-buyer program" of sorts so that you can get discounts from repeat purchases of Latisse. In my office, the cost is just the cost of the prescription, but other offices will vary on that part. Also, as far as prescribing, some derms, plastic surgeons, and ocular surgeons will carry and sell Latisse directly from their office. Otherwise, any doctor can give you a prescription to fill at a pharmacy for it, but you won't be able to participate in the BD program through a traditional pharmacy. Best best, check the Latisse website - there's a find a doctor section on it where you call offices close to you who prescribe it.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Latisse vs extensions

+1
The cost of a 3 cc bottle of Latisse is about $120, the 5cc bottle is slightly more.  In our office, this is the total cost.  One sees a nice improvement in the length and fullness of the lashes (and brows, if one desires!), in about 6 weeks of using Latisse.  I personally like Latisse over extensions as the lashes are yours and do not have to have them replaced every few weeks.  Some extensions, if not done well, can damage your existing lashes.  Plastic Surgeons and Opthalmologists can prescribe Latisse.

Janet Turkle, MD

Latisse vs. Extensions

+1
This is a question many women face: Latisse vs. extensions.

Latisse is a prescription product which costs $125 to fill. Potential side effects include darkening of the upper eyelid lash line and darkening of the iris in people with very light eyes.

With extensions, there is some risk of allergic reaction to the adhesive. When I see a patient in the office with extensions, it looks nice, but it is quite clear that they are wearing false eyelashes, at least to me.

This is a personal choice and you should consult with your doctor before making a decision.   

Jennifer Ahdout, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist