Can Latisse Be Used by Contact Lens Wearers?

Will I be able to use the new Latisse eyelash extension mascara if I wear contacts?

Latisse and Contact Lenses

+4
According to Allergan, the manufacturer of Latisse, Latisse can  be used by contact lens wearers. The eye area needs to be cleaned and contact lenses should be removed prior to application of Latisse Contact lenses may be reinserted 15 minutes following the administration of Latisse.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Latisse and Contact Lens Users

+4

Latisse can be used by contact lens wearers. On the Allergan website for Latisse, there are directions for use. The first step to using Latisse is to remove makeup and contact lenses from the eyes.

Latisse can also cause dryness of the eyes, which may cause increased irritation in patients who are using contact lenses.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Contacts must be removed before the application of Latisse and remain out for another 15 minutes!

+3

Latisse is the only FDA approved drug formulated for the strict cosmetic purpose of treating HYPOTRICHOSIS, which is the term used to describe inadequate or sparse eyelashes. A prescription must be obtained from a physician.

Depending upon what state you reside, the product may be dispensed at your prescribing physician’s office and/or at certified pharmacy. Because there is a chemical preservative in the formulation, contacts must be removed before the application of the medication and remain out for an additional 15 minutes.

I hope find this information useful.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Latisse and Contact Lenses

+3

Latisse can be used with contact lenses.

It is important to recognize that Latisse is not an extension masscara but a drug that will actually increase the length of your upper lid eye lashes.

It is not to be used for the lower lid lashes and there are risks (as with any medication). Be sure to discuss these issues completely with your board certified plastic surgeon, dermatologist or optho.

Allergan (the manufacturer) is predicting it will be bigger than Botox.

I hope this helps!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Latisse can be used with contacts

+2

Latisse can be safely used even if you wear contacts. The medication is applied to the root of the eyelashes only to promote growth. From El Paso.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Latisse for contact lens wearers

+2

Latisse can safely be used by individuals who wear contact lenses.  I find it is easiest for my patients to use the Latisse once they have washed off all of their makeup and removed their contact lenses, immediately before going to sleep. If needed, contact lenses can be reinserted 15 minutes after Latisse application to the eyelashes. 

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Latisse for contact lens wearers

+2

Soft contact lenses may absorb a chemical in Latisse which may unpredictably alter your contacts. However, this doesn't mean you can't use Latisse.

First of all, as the others have said, Latisse is not an extension mascara. Latisse is a prostaglandin analog. Exactly how it works is not known. It may increase the duration of the eyelash growth phase, which results in longer, thicker, and darker eyelashes.
Latisse is a solution treatment for inadequate or not enough lashes and requires a prescription from a doctor. However, mascara can be used on your eyelashes in addition to Latisse.

According to Allergan, the manufacturers of Latisse:

"Contact lenses should be removed prior to application of Latisse and may be reinserted 15 minutes following its administration."

I recommend that it is applied at night time before going to bed. This means that you can usually leave your contacts out until morning. But if you change your mind and want to go out that night, you should wait the recommended 15 minutes before putting the contacts back in.

Please see your doctor in person for a more specific response.

Tammy Wu, MD
Modesto Plastic Surgeon

Yes

+1
Remove your contact lenses before applying, and wait about 15 minutes afterward before re-inserting.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Latisse with Contacts

+1

The Latisse can be used by contact lens wearers, but it is important to clean the eye area and make sure you remove your contact lenses prior to application of the Latisse product.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Latisse and Contact Lens

+1

Latisse can be used by patience who wear contacts. Contacts and makeup should be removed before applying your Latisse. Latisse should be applied at night which the need to wear your contacts after application should not be needed, but if you need to wear your contacts after application you will want to wait about 15 minutes after application.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon