Latisse Application with Contact Lenses on

What exactly happens if Latisse is used without taking out the contact lenses? I know contact lenses must be removed prior to the daily use of Latisse. I was just curious what effect does the Latisse have on the eye if the lense remained intact. Would it cause irritation, infection, destroy the lense etc.?

Latisse and Contact Lens Use

+1

I would recommend putting Latisse on the upper eyelids right before bedtime, after you have washed your face and lids. Obviously, your contact lenses should be out when you sleep. In the morning you can wash your face as you normally do and put your contacts back in for the day. This way you will avoid the contact lenses soaking up some of the Latisse which could lead to eye irritation.

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Removal of contact lenses is precautionary with Latisse

+1

During the "labeling" process for approval the makers of Latisse agreed to have the instructions state that contact lenses should be removed before application and not be replaced for at least 15 minutes. The risk is that the product could get on the contact lens and have delayed washout from the eye. I am not aware that the Latisse could harm the lens, and the risk is theoretical but it is certainly a good idea and I highly recommend it. In the evening when the contact lenses are removed is a good time to clean the lids and then apply the Latisse as directed. If for some reason you forget once to do this I would not panic just remove your contacts and clean them thoroughly.

Denver Ophthalmologist

Latisse may become impregnated in the lens and increase eye irritation

+1

The problem with leaving a soft contact lens in the eye while applying Latisse chronically is that some of the medication may become impregnated in to the lens. Soft contacts tend to absorb and adsorb material from the tear film. Interestingly, these may become vehicles for continuous delivery of the dug from the contact, and inadvertently increase intraocular concentrations which can thereby increase side effects such as Iris color changes, decrease in intraocular pressure, and redness and irritation of the eye. Not to mention, problems with the contact's longevity by creating deposits on the lens.

It is therefore advised to take out your contacts prior to using Latisse to prevent unecessary and untoward efects.

Los Angeles Ophthalmologist