Will Laterals Extruded with Invisalign Intrude at End of Treatment?

Finished my inisalign treatment that involved slight extrusion of my upper lateral incisors. My question is if there is a chance or likelihood of my laterals moving back into my gums (re-intruding?) now that im using a retainer and the attachments that were on those teeth have been removed. I know a retainer will keep my teeth straight, but without something gripping onto those laterals, I fear they may move, especially since the extrusion took place over the last round of refinements. Thanks.

Intrusion after invisalign

+2

Not likely to happen but to prevent it you may consider wearing a bonded lingual retainer that will keep them from being intruded

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

It is possible for lateral incisors to re-intrude after Invisalign

+2

Even though it sounds like your Invisalign treatment was successful, there is a real chance that the laterals could re-intrude, even partially, after removal of the attachments and during retention...even if you wear your retainers well.  Having your laterals in a balanced bite position is helpful, but the best way to hold them still is to have your orthodontist place a wire bonded to the back of the upper front teeth.

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist

Extruded Laterals Will Not Intrude After Invisalign

+2

The extruded laterals should stay extruded just by wearing your retainers. It would be difficult to force them to intrude with Invisalign.

.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Bonded Retainers

+2

The most reliable way to keep extruded laterals in place is to have your orthodontist place a bonded lingual retainer that is affixed to the tongue side of your teeth

All of our patients have this option and it works out very well to keep your smile looking amazing!

Robert T. Rudman, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

Lingually Bonded Retainer

+1

It is always possible for a tooth that has been extruded to slightly intrude after orthodontic tooth movement is completed. If you are concerned, you may want to discuss the possibility of placing a lingually bonded retainer for added stability.

Janet H. Stoess-Allen, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Relapse

+1

there is always a chance for things to move. if you see this start call your Dr and had him try and bond them in place for awhile

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

Extruded laterals

+1

The laterals can be moved back up in .  You need a case refinement with your doctor.  Be aware that it may have a slight increase in resorption of the roots.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist