Cause of Lateral Pull of Breasts After Explant

After subpectoral explant, why do the breasts pull laterally and upward when the pectoral muscles are engaged? I had thought it was due to the release of the muscle, as for me this anomaly is more noticeable in the side where more muscle was released. If the same anomaly occurs when subglandular implants are removed, however, then a more plausible answer might be scar tissue.

Pulling of breast implants

+1

You're right about the scar tissue, but it may also be shifting of the implants.  See your plastic surgeon to find out if anything can be done to help the situation.

Lateral pull on breast from muscle contraction

+1

This video below shows why this happens IT is generally more pronounced in very muscularly fit females. Placing the implants above the muscle may diminish this tendency

Breast movement after implant removal

+1

The pectoralis muscle is partially released (cut) upon implant placement.  Once the implant is gone, the muscle can more freely pull the breast tissue upward and outward.  Scar tissue may also contribute to this movement, by adhering to the overlying muscle (or underlying muscle, depending upon the initial implant placement).  Massage may help; time may help.  If not, then surgical release of the scar tissue or of the breast tissue from the muscle may help.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Why do explanted Breasts Move a LOT Higher and to the Sides?

+1

Regarding: "Cause of Lateral Pull of Breasts After Explant
After subpectoral explant, why do the breasts pull laterally and upward when the pectoral muscles are engaged? I had thought it was due to the release of the muscle, as for me this anomaly is more noticeable in the side where more muscle was released. If the same anomaly occurs when subglandular implants are removed, however, then a more plausible answer might be scar tissue
"

You do NOT mention WHY your subpectoral implants were removed, how many breast operations you had before the explantation and how much of a capsule removal was done at the time of breast implant removal. The most plausible explanation is the one you touched upon. At the time of breast implant placement, the origin of the pectoralis major muscle on the ribs are divided to allow the implants to be placed as close to the midline as possible. (Years ago, the lower portion of the muscle on the sternum, the mid chest bone, was divided as well. This is not commonly done anymore because it allowed the muscle (and overlying breast) to be pulled up on contraction - "Window Shading"). Without the implant below to check muscle shortening, the muscle moves MUCH higher and to the side taking the overlying breast with it. To fix this, the smooth capsule scar tissue under the breast/muscle and over the inner chest may need to re removed and scar adhesion needs to take place.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Muscle pull after implant removal

+1

Once the muscle is detached a bit, the breasts may pull to the sides with flexion.  This may or may not get better after implant removal.