Considering Lateral Eyebrow Surgery

I am 34 years old and look about 23 so no wrinkling at all. My problem is I have hereditary low eyebrows with the right brow being much lower laterally than the left. Would love to have the ends lifted but have a high forhead so my surgeon suggested a lateral brow lift as it won't affect the hairline too much. What I want to know is the recovery time. I've heard this is the least invasive brow procedure. How long will it take before I can face people again?

Lateral Browlift Surgery

+2
I am a huge fan of the lateral browlift-  it is rather simple and quick to perform, results in minimal to no elevation of the hairline, and most importantly, it corrects/improves the area that is most common of greatest concern to patients with sagging brows-  the lateral aspect.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

A short-scar temporal lift is your solution

+2

Dear Jess,

to correct this (quite common) problem our solution is what we call a "short-scar temporal lifting", a technique adapted from Dr Alain Fogli's  galeopexy technique. It involves a 4-cm incision within the hairline which heals with a nearly invisible scar.

The social recovery time is less than 2 weeks, often even only a week. It can be performed under a local anaesthesia in about 45 minutes and gives very satisfying results.

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Browlift and a high forehead.

+2

We invented a procedure to lower the hairline and lift the brow more than 30 years ago called the ITH procedure. We bury the roots of the hair so they grow thru the scar so you don't see a scar at the hairline.

Lateral Browlift Recovery

+1

In my experience, most patients are able to get back to work or social life in 10 days or so. Of course there are variables that can affect your personal recovery time. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Brow Lift is more reliable than Temple Lift

+1

If your eyebrows are low and asymmetric, you should still consider the Coronal Brow Lift over a Temple Lift (see my previous comparison of both procedures).

Lateral eyebrow surgery

+1

Lateral eyebrow surgery is not the best option for a unilateral lower eyebrow.  A unilateral lower eyebrow is best dealt with through a coronal approach.  A lateral brow lift is only stretching skin and may only be temporary.  A lateral brow lift will raise the hairline on the side that is being lifted.  Plan on 2 weeks of postoperative swelling and bruising after the procedure. 

Browlift for asymmetric brows

+1

A browlift may be entirely appropriate and may benefit you greatly.  Asymmetries are factored into the surgery to give the greatest perceived symmetry.  This will consider eyeball position in the globe, forehead height, and brow aesthetics.

Our chapter in browlift surgery in the Mathes textbook goes through some of the issues in browlift surgery and can be read for free.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Lateral Eyebrow Surgery

+1

You can have a browlift and lower your hairline using the trichophytic hairline incision we described many years ago. Although perfect symmetry of your brows is an unreasonable goal, symmetry can be improved,

Lateral brow lift

+1

A lateral browlift lift the ends of the brow and appears to be a good option for you. It can be done just on the right. You should look OK after 2 weeks, better after 1 month.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brow Lift Recovery Time

+1

Your recovery time will vary depending on the technique used for the procedure, as well as your recovery goals. For example, if you have it done endoscopically, the incisions are far smaller and you may have less obvious bruising. 

If you want to be presentable in public, you will need at least a week after the procedure. Some patients have longer periods of swelling and bruising after surgery. You will not be able to engage in strenuous physical activity (e.g., running, lifting weights, rock climbing, etc.) for approximately 3 weeks. 

The best way to know what your recovery time is likely to be is to ask the surgeon who will be performing the procedure. This person has examined you and knows exactly what your cosmetic goals are as well as how they will be achieved. Best of luck!

Jen Yuan Chow, MD
Pasadena Facial Plastic Surgeon