Will lateral displacement go away after explant? (photo)

I am experiencing lateral displacement, you can clearly see it in my right breast when I lay down. It is not visible when I am standing. I have had my 371silicone unders for 4months and will be explanting January 6th due to discomfort, ripples and I just don't want these in me. My ps will be removing just my implants, not the capsules, under local anesthesia. Will this lateral displacement go away with just a simple explant?

Will lateral displacement go away after explant?

+2

Thank you for the good question and picture.  

If you choose to have the breast implants removed permanently, you may also wish to consider capsulorraphy: the use of sutures to repair the lateral breast fold areas on the side(s) where the breast implants have displaced laterally. This maneuver, in my opinion, will help improve your breasts' position when the breasts implants have been removed. Otherwise, it is likely that your breasts will continue to shift to the sides,  although probably to a lesser degree once breast implants have been removed.

Probably best to address your specific concerns with your plastic surgeon carefully. It is possible, that if you choose to undergo additional surgery (beyond removal of breast implants alone),  a change in anesthesia plan may be beneficial as well.

Again, careful communication of your goals will be one of the important keys to success of the planned procedure.

Dr. Kayser

+1
The implant occupies space and has also expanded the skin overlying it so once the implants are removed, there will necessarily be permanent changes to the breasts that may result in their drooping or shifting to the sides - both of which may require corrective surgery such as a mastopexy. However, depending on your skin tone, there will be some, albeit unpredictable, amount of retraction. As far as removing the capsule, there is no absolute conscensus on this matter. Simply removing the implants may possibly allow the scar cavity to fill up with serous fluid that may prevent the breast from re-attaching to the unlying tissues; this would allow unnessary motion, including lateralization of the breasts or volume differences because of the possible fluid variations. I have seen these spaces over a long periods of time in both cosmetic and reconstructive patients and while some surgeons believe that this scar is not that significant, I believe that removing the capsule allows a new raw surface to promote adhesion of the breast and possibly a better long term result. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day! Dr. Kayser

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon