Will a Lateral Canthopexy Change the Shape of the Eyes on a 45 Year Old? Has my Doctor over Tightened One Side? (photo)

7 days ago i had a lateral cantholpexy performed at the same time as rhinoplasty. We agreed to do a Lower Blepharoplasty to remove the bags under my eyes, but not a LC. My doctor assures me the shape will return to normal within 2-3 months. I am worried about perm. altering the shape of my eyes more asian/upward, which i do not want....and that he has overtightened one side? I really hope I am worrying for nothing? Can this procedure be adjusted if not?

Lateral Canthopexy Will Relax

+5

The lateral canthopexy will relax, and patients always complain about the awkward looking shape after the procedure. 

This will resolve, but...

+3

The resolution will also bring changes to your eye appearance.  Generally canthoplasty is not a cosmetic procedure.  It is performed as part of other reconstructive procedures.  Unfortunatley many surgeons have started performing this procedure in the mistaken belief that it helps make the eye more youthful.  The consequences of the procedure will very much depend on how much of your lower eyelid was resected as part of your canthoplasty.  Right now the eyelid looks pulled up and slanted.  The natural process of tissue stretch back will reduce the severity of this.  In the process, this will also pull the outer corner toward the center of the eye.  This induces a disinsertion of the lateral canthal angle and potentially a rounding of the cornea of the eye.  Some interpret these changes as "my eye got smaller after surgery."  Bottom line, at this point you need to heal.  There will be softening of your current appearance.  Ultimately you may be very satisfied with your appearance or you may feel that you need this aspect of your surgery revised.

Canthopexy appearance

+2

Your eyes were different before surgery so they may be a little different afterward. Canthopexies do relax, but if the difference does bother you it can be revised.  You would need to wait several months before doing this.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Canthopexy and eye shape

+2

A canthopexy is done to support the lower lid after a blepharoplasty when the lower lid tone is weak.  I use it quite often in my patients.  Usually within a few weeks to months, the canthus relaxes and the lateral eye position adjusts.

Canthopexy a wise choice

+2

Your 7 day post op photos look good. This is what you can expect from a canthopexy at your stage of healing.The position of the lids will return to a normal position with time. What"s important is that they are less likely to retract in to a lower than normal postion following the lower lid blepharoplasty.The Canthopexy was an appropriate step in your surgery to help prevent post operative lower lid retraction.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bilateral canthoplasty often look amiss for a few weeks.

+2

The photograph demonstrates nothing of concern at this point in convalescence. With time both lids should relax and a revisional procedure will be unlikely.