Can a Lateral Brow Lift Be Performed Through the Upper Lids?

can a lateral brow lift be performed through the upper lids,whilst having a Bleph?

Browlift through eye incision

A browlift done through an eyelid incision is sometimes done with a browpexy procedure although these do not hold up well. The other way is by using small endotines.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Lateral browlift through upper lids during blepharoplasty

A lateral browlift should probably not be performed through the upper lids because it is only elevating one portion of the eyebrow which would give a very strange and odd look. In addition, the temporal branch of the facial nerve runs right underneath the lateral portion of the eyebrow and could be easily damaged while trying to accomplish a lateral browlift.

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

Brow lift through the upper eyelid (transblepharoplasty brow pexy): "Two birds with one stone"

This is not so much as a lift as it is a fixation or securing of the brow. We call this procedure a trans blepharoplasty brow pexy. It secures the brow in place and minimizes downward displacement with the upper lid skin tuck, It can be performed utilizing a variety of techniques ranging from resorbably plates, screws or permanent  or temporary stitches.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Browlift through blepharoplasty incision

There are many ways to do a browlift. One of these methods is through an upper blepharoplasty incision. It is best for those people with high foreheads who do not want to reduce the forehead and in whom another type of procedure is difficult. It is not as strong in lifting the brow, however, and leaves a few lines permanently above the lateral eyebrow. I have had this procedure, but would have preferred a different one, and may, eventually, opt for a re-do another way if we can figure out how to deal with my high forehead. Discuss the pros and cons with your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

209 Hospital Drive
Highlands, NC 28741

Browpexy - especially for men

A browpexy or fixation of the brow through the upper lid incision is a good alternative for men who can't easily conceal traditional brow lift incisions with a receding hairline.  Also too much brow lift can be feminizing.  A browpexy allows removal of excess eyelid skin while stabilizing the outer brow so it does not descend after the procedure. 
I have also done this procedure successfully in women also, but it does not, of course, have all the same benefits as a full brow lift.

Kimberly Short, MD, FACS

8455 Clearvista Place
Indianapolis, IN 46256

Lateral Browlift

While I used endoscopic browlift techniques for several years to treat brow descent, more recently I have transitioned to performing a limited incision lateral browlift that does not require the use of an endoscope. The relatively short incision is hidden behind the temporal hairline, and no incisions are required in the scalp directly above the eyes. The advantage is as follows: this approach allows me to not only redrape the lateral brow (conservatively!) in a higher position, but it also allows me to reposition the skin and soft tissues of the lateral periorbital area in an upward direction, producing a more complete rejuvenation of the periorbital area. Additionally, through this same incision I can perform suspension of the midface (cheek) if that is part of the surgical plan.

Rejuvenation of the brow by means of a lateral browlift will also, in most cases, improve the appearance of the upper eyelids. When the lateral brow is repositioned above the orbital rim, the vertical elevation may eliminate the appearance of wrinkled or 'crepey' upper eyelid skin. If the lateral upper lid skin is 'hooded' over the lateral corner of the eye, this improves as well. While upper blepharoplasty (upper lid skin excision) is often performed in concert with a lateral browlift, for many patients the upward positioning of the brow eliminates the need for skin excision.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

10941 Raven Ridge Rd
Raleigh, NC 27614

Transblepharoplasty Browlift Possible but Results in Minimal Lifting

Ye, this is referred to as a transblepharoplasty brow lift. It is only useful for slight brow elevation and can be performed with an endotine devise (a disolvable suspension device). The other options for a more powerful lift include a minimal incision brow lift (small incisions are placed in the hairline) or a direct brow lift (small incisions are made in the natural creases of the forehead).  You can find out more about minimal incision brow lift by following the link below.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

100-1537 West 8th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6J 1T5

Lateral Brow Lift via Upper Eyelid Incision

The lateral eyebrow can be lifted through an incision in the upper eyelid, frequently using the Coapt endotine device. Selection of technique will depend on the location and quantity of the desired lift.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Brow Lift Surgery via Upper Eyelid Incision

Yes, brow lift surgery to elevate or reposition the eyebrow may be performed via an upper eyelid or blepharoplasty incision. This plastic surgery approach has been used for years and appropriate for selected patients. As with many cosmetic surgery procedures, it has its advantages and disadvantages as compared to endoscopic brow lifts or alternative cosmetic procedures. Transblepharoplasty brow lift surgery utilizes the same incision as traditional upper eyelid surgery, so there isn't an extra incision. Speak with a plastic surgery specializing in eyelid surgery to help determine the appropriate option for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

2300 M St NW
Washington, DC 20037

How about a browpexy!

Brow sagging (ptosis) is the result of excess skin and loss of elasticity of the forehead. Any lifting procedure must lift this tissue. The first and worst sagging occurs on the outer third of the eyelid. Brow lifts come in many flavors;

1-coronal browlift - incision across scalp.

2- endoscopic browlift - the most common treatment.

3- Browpexy - the outside half of the eyebrow can be lifted through the upper eyelid incision. This is a limited procedure and will not address the excess tissues of the forehead - only sagging eyebrows.

Robert M. Freund, MD

170 East End Avenue
New York, NY 10128