Is It Too Late to Massage Scar Tissue to Break It Up After a TT?

Hello, I had a full TT with lipo done about 1 yr and a half ago. I still have some hard tissue underneath my lower abs around the incision are. All this time I didn't know an option was to massage the area to break down the scar tissue. I used Mederma cream and it works wonders. I'm just getting back to normal activity since I felt sore around my hips and along my lower belly. Is it too late to massage the scar tissue?

Hard scar after Tummy Tuck

+3

Dear Chicago 6997,

I am not sure why you would still have such hard tissue 1 1/2 year after a TT: did you have any infection,hematoma, seroma or fat necrosis ? all these could prolong the healing and create hard scar tissue, yes.

you need to check with your Plastic surgeon first.

then yes, massage will always help.

another solution is therapeutic Ultrasounds: if you have a good insurance which covers PT, maybe your plastic surgeon can write you a prescription for several treatments, say twice a week, until more softening is obtained.

if too pricey and not covered, you can buy on Amazon any of those hand-held ultrasound devices for massage at 3 MHz, for less than $ 100. the gel costs $ 4.

good luck,

Florence Mussat,MD

Massage 18 months after TT

+2
Massage cannot hurt but I think it is a fallacy that massage cures all or that if you didn't massage, this is the basis for the hardness around the incisions. Some incisions may develop fat necrosis or scar hypertrophy. If this is the case then a minor revision can alleviatehthe problem. Continue to followup with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hard scar tissue after tummy tuck

+2

Massage can indeed help, even at a later date. The thick scar in the lower abdomen might be areas of fat necrosis which can take a very long time to resolve. Often a minor revision can remove them, but if exercise and massage are showing progress keep it up.

Concerns about Scar after Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question.  At this point, massage might  help ( minimally)  and certainly can't hurt. Hopefully, with ongoing time the firmness around your scar will improve. Sometimes, scar revision surgery may be helpful ( depending on your situation).

For more precise advice,  follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

S It Too Late to Massage Scar Tissue to Break It Up After a TT?

+1

Massage might help, but this far after surgery it would do you well to visit with your surgeon. Some of the causes (e.g. fat necrosis) are not likely to improve at this stage, and a minor revision might be better.