Is It Too Late for Cortison Injections 4 Years After Rhinoplasty?

I had a revision rhinoplasty for my tip and bridge with rib graft four years ago. I have very thick/oily skin. My tip is still wide and uneven with a bump. My PS said that it's scar tissue that returned and has me try some cortisone injections deep under the skin. He said that it can take 3 months to see a result. He also said that doing another surgery to remove scar tissue would not be successful since it keeps coming back. Will cortisone injections help me with unevenness at this point?

Steroid injections after 4 years

+2

steroid injections are typically most effective when used in the first 6-12 months but they can still help after a few years

Cortisone 4 Years after Rhinoplasty

+2

Cortisone injections may help, even though it's been 4 years since your surgery. If not successful, discuss another  revision with your surgeon. I recommend getting a second opinion. 

Cortisone Shots 4 years after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

At this point the cortisone shots will probably not help. With thick oily skin, you may need to defat your tip and/or revise the rib graft you have. It sounds like the only solution at this point would be to seek a revision surgery.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Cortisone is sometimes used to reduce swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Cortisone is most effective within the first few months after surgery. What it does is reduce excess swelling and prevent it from becoming scar tissue. Injections over a year from surgery can still help. If there is no change then you may be a candidate for further revision surgery.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD