Is Late 40s Too Late for Rhinoplasty?

I don't have a straight profile and I'd like to finally take care of it. My nose is elegant from the front - thin nostrils and it's probably just the right length for my face. Can one remove the 'bump' but keep the rest of the nose - & is it okay at this age to do so? Thanks.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

No but here is the deal...

+1

Hi,

Your age is fine.  I have done Rhinoplasties in patients in their 60's and 70's and it actually often makes people look younger.

You have to make sure your nose is "age appropriate" and pretty but natural.  A 14 year olds nose will not look right on a 40 year old.  More importantly, you have to make sure your plastic surgeon understands your goals.  Too often I see patients who came out of a rhinoplasty with things they did not want or ask for.  For example, you may be quite unhappy if your plastic surgeon takes it upon himself or herself to raise your tip and narrow your tip further or narrow your nostrils or anything else that you may not need nor asked for.  However, there may be some slight nuances that a skilled plastic surgeon can evaluate and recommend.  Computer imaging should help you see the new nose and the new face and solidify the surgical "game plan." 

Good luck

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialistsurgeon.com/choosing-a-rhinoplasty-specialist-surgeon/best-age-for-rhinoplasty/

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Late 40s is not too late for Rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty can be done at any age.  Removal of a hump can also be done while preserving the other characteristics of the nose as well as maintaining the same contour from the front.  This may require several more steps than you would think, in order to keep the structures in balance.  The only consideration is to be certain a change is what you want.  Patients over the age of 30 do seem to have more dissatisfaction after rhinoplasty if the changes are too drastic.  However, good communication with your surgeon should lead to a result that pleases you, especially if it is a change you have always wanted.

What is the right age for rhinoplasty?

+2

Dear rhinoplasty patient from San Francisco,
Any age after 18 is appropriate for rhinoplasty. If you’re not happy with your nasal profile, find a board certified surgeon specializing in rhinoplasty. Having a good nose job requires a nose specialist and a skilled surgeon. You also want to take into account whether you feel comfortable with the surgeon, as well as the doctor's experience and other qualifications. Always choose a board certified facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty. Be sure to check his before and after pictures to get a feel for the results the doctor has previously produced for other patients.

Web reference: http://www.galleryofcosmeticsurgery.com/face-procudures/rhinoplasty.html

Age for rhinoplasty

+2

As long as you are medically healthy, rhinoplasty is great for a woman of any age.  Removing the bump will improve your profile and garner more attention to features like your cheeks and eyes.  The term "mature rhinoplasty" was developed to acknowledge that frequently when a rhinoplasty is performed, the patient frequently appears younger.  Many women in my practice in their 40s and up are very pleased to see this improvement!  In your case, you sound fortunate to be happy with your nasal tip.  Many patients lack tip support which can worsen as they age.  Your physician can test your tip support at your consultation.  If necessary, tip support techniques can be employed during your surgery.  Find a doctor with whom you feel comfortable and good luck!

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patients over 40 are great candidates for Rhinoplasty Surgery!

+2

While rhinoplasty surgery is more common for individuals in their 20's and early 30's, those over 40 may find they are even happier with their rhinoplasty experience.  Patients over 40 have matured and generally have more realistic expectations for their nose.  Instead of thinking, "I just hate my nose and want a new one", they think, "I would like my hump or tip to be smaller", and they frequently don't want a completely different looking nose, rather they are interested in a positive improvement with the nose they have.

It is important in women over 40 not to make the nose too small and cute, instead the goal should be for a more mature, elegant shape.

My patients over 40 have generally been very happy with their rhinoplasty results.

For more info on Rhinoplasty, please click the link below.

Web reference: http://yourfaceinourhands.com/plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can enjoy the benefit of rhinoplasty in your 40's

+2

Generally, rhinoplasty has been considered the 'right of passage' type of procedure which is performed at about age 16 as one is planning life, school and future. Adults now though are just as common seeking nasal shaping, just as is the trend of adults with braces on their teeth. If you are committed, rhinoplasty is a safe and effective procedure at any age. Be meticulous in your planning, and change only what you feel will reflect the real you inside.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

How old is too old for rhinoplasty?

+2

In your late 40s, you are not even in the prime of your life yet! You are far too young to be thinking about being too old for most anything. In fact, rhinoplasty can be helpful in correcting aesthetic and breathing concerns at any age considering you are in good health.

It is possible to reduce a bump without touching the tip. However, depending on the size of the bump, it is sometimes necessary to narrow the nasal bones in order not to leave an unnaturally wide or flat appearance to the bridge. It is also important to make sure you have adequate tip support so that your tip will not droop as you age and cause an apparent bump to reappear. Remember also that your body image is a little more well established in your 40s than it was in your teens. So, it sometimes takes a week or two longer to get used to a change. Since you're looking for something fairly conservative, that shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,

Appropriate age for rhinoplasty

+2

Hello Grace, 

Thanks for the question. In my practice, I have performed both cosmetic and functional rhinoplasty in patients in their late 60's who are in good health. There is really no age restriction, as long as the patient is healthy enough to undergo anesthesia. For patients over 50, we typically ask for medical clearance from the primary care physician as well as an EKG and blood tests, to ensure patient safety. Overall, rhinoplasty can be rejuvenating for some patients in the sense that as people age, noses tend to droop due to a loss of support, making them appear more hooked. 

As for your question about hump removal without changing the rest of the nose, this is absolutely possible. In cases such as yours, I frequently perform an endonasal (closed) rhinoplasty without any external incisions. During the consultation, I use computer imaging to give the patients an opportunity to express their aesthetic sense and for me to show them what is realistic and achievable, given their particular anatomy. I then use these computer-generated images as a guide during surgery, to create a nasal shape which is as close as possible to our mutual aesthetic goals. 

Regards,

Dr. Mehta

Web reference: http://www.mehtaplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after 40

+1
Being in your 40s should not inhibit you from having surgery. I would not perform rhinoplasty in patients in their 60s because, especially in men, the tip is unforgiving and the change is insufficient to warrant surgery. The disappointment rate is high in this age group and I generally dissuade them from undergoing surgery.

Age and Rhinoplasty

+1

As long as you are in good health, age is not a factor in Rhinoplasty. Select a well-trained Board Certified Facial Plastic or Plastic Surgeon. Upon consultation and examination your surgeon will be able to discuss the benefits, risks, and the expected results.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.