I Am Having my Lat Flap on Friday, Is Being Under for This Long Dangerous?

how long is the procedure typically last...and how long is the recovery?

Latissimus flap breast reconstruction.

+2

A latissimus flap is a common breast reconstruction procedure. The surgery can take anywhere from 2-4 hours but is generally well tolerated. Anesthetic times of 2-4 hours would not be considered "dangerous." The concerns with anesthesia are more dependent upon the health of the patient (heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, etc) than on the length of anesthesia. Most of my patients go home after 1 or 2 nights in the hospital. Although we restrict activity (lifting, etc) for several weeks, most patients discomfort subsides considerably by the end of the first week.  

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Latissimus Flap Breast Reconstruction After Breast Cancer

+2

In general, the latissimus flap breast reconstruction is a very reliable method for replacing lost volume and soft tissue after a mastectomy.  This procedure can take anywhere from 2-5 hours depending on the ease of the surgery, experience of the surgeon, etc.  Most women spend a night or two in the hospital and then recover at home.  Most women have pain and soreness for about a week, but every patient is different.  Patient's are instructed to limit the use of the arm on that side for 2-3 weeks to allow everything to heal well with out stressing the reconstruction or back area.  There is a tight feeling across the back for a few weeks, but most women feel pretty normal at the one mont mark and are getting back to their normal activities by that point.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Length of Anesthesia for Lat Flap

+1

The latissimus dorsi flap typically takes 2-4 hours.

Anesthetic times of this length are not problematic as long as it is administered under the supervision of  a certified anesthesiologist at an accredited facility.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS