Last Night Whilst Yawning (Gently) my Nose Clicked? I Am 5 Days Post Open Rhinoplasty and Still Have my Cast on.

My nose used to hurt whenever I smiled a little or yawned but now, since it made that click, it feels fine. I had open rhinoplasty which mostly concentrated on the tip but there was also some shaving down of the bridge (no bone breaking) and this is the area where I used to feel pain and where the "click" came from. I'm obviously happy that it no longer hurts but I'm concerned that something bad has happened to my nose. It didn't hurt when it clicked, it just felt like a slight movement.

Yawning Effect Over Rhinoplasty Results

+1

Dear Lala,

Based on your description, the "click" you felt during yawning "gently" and the disappearance of the pain where the click happened may be a simple coincidence or a movement of a nasal parts (cartilage, etc.).

Without knowing the full details of your surgery, it is not possible to diagnose what took place when you yawned.

I recommend that you contact your surgeon and make sure that he/she examines your nose in and out because at 5 days post-op your nose is "fragile" to a certain degree.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Yawning

+1

First: Call your surgeon and explain the details.  The "clicking" is likely the result of nasal cartilage moving against cartilage.  Best Wishes!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

No Pain is your Gain after Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Lala, I would not be concerned at all that you no longer have discomfort. These events may have been simultaneous and non related. They may have been as simple as  a shift in the splint which relieved some discomfort. A yawn will not effect your result and you should be on your way to a great recovery. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD