I Had Lasik Surgery 3 Weeks Ago.my Number Was -8.after Lasik I Still Have -1.75.can I Have Lasik Again?

Residual Rx after LASIK

+2

this is not a great result, btw, as you're really not supposed to leave more than 10% residual Rx at most if you do a good job as a surgeon, so based on your initial Rx if he left you -0.75 i guess that's within acceptable, leaving you -1.75 is not remotely normal

people should make sure that their surgeon meets the following criteria, in my opinion:

1. has performed over 1,000 refractive procedures
  2. has performed all the different types (LASIK, LASEK, PRK, epiLASEK, IntraLase)
  3. is a member of ASCRS
  4. has completed a FELLOWSHIP IN REFRACTIVE SURGERY
  5. ideally, if you're within 2 hours of some city, is performing over 1,000 cases PER YEAR

anyway, based on your not-great results, i'd recommend you go for a second opinion and see a MD who meets all 5 of the above criteria, then if he or she thinks everything is normal, you can still have the original surgeon enhance you (as it's probably free) but with the other expert's opinion/guidance, which will be helpful and ensure a good result

Emil Chynn MD NYC

New York Ophthalmologist

Re-Treatment after lasik

+1

It depends.  In the early going after lasik, the refraction can change - sometimes dramatically.  So, you want to wait for 2 to 3 months to let things settle.  If you don't and are re-treated too soon, you may end up with an over-correction.  To answer whether or not you can be re-treated depends on both the thickness and curvature of your cornea.  If you have enough tissue and enough curvature to flatten, then you can be treated.  However, if you are too thin, don't push it.  Sometimes the enemy of good is perfect.

Stuart Lewis, MD
Denver Ophthalmologist

Repeat LASIK

+1

It is still very early to consider a repeat LASIK.  You will continue to heal over the next 8-12 weeks.

Once you are fully healed you might be able to consider additional LASIK.  It depends on your cornea thickness.

Many times with patients who had a higher correction, we will opt for PRK (surface laser treatment) for an enhancment 6 mo to 1 year after LASIK, if they do not have enough cornea thickness.

The key is finding our your cornea thickness and if there is enough cornea bed to perform additonal LASIK, if not ask your doctor to condier PRK.

Brian Boxer Wachler, MD
Beverly Hills Ophthalmologist