Can I Do Lasik? My Cornea Thickness is 490 -488 Micron?

i decide to make lasik on both eyes doctor said everything is good except my cornea thikness was right eye 490 micron - left eye 488 micron can i make lasik or it will be hard the doc. recomened not to wear contact lenses for three months and then i visit him again but can i do lasik with this cornea thickness thanks in advance

LASIK vs PRK with Thin Corneas

+1

Very likely, your doctor noticed some damage to your cornea from wearing contact lenses chronically and this will also cause thinning of the cornea. So I recommend you also stay out of your contact lenses for a minimum of 3 months and then re-visit the doctor.

Your corneas may thicken by as much as 10 microns on each side by giving them a break from contact lenses. Then depending on your prescription you may still be a LASIK candidate, however PRK may still be the safer option to make sure you have enough residual corneal bed left over after the procedure.

Both PRK and LASIK will give you the same long-term results.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Many factors to consider with LASIK

+1

Cornea thickness is only one of many factors to consider for LASIK surgery.  A 490 micron cornea could have LASIK if everything else is fine.  It may not be able to have LASIK in cases of high myopia, high astigmatism, abnormal corneal topography, flat keratometry readings, excessive dryness, active infection, retinal or lenticular irregularities, etc.

It never hurts to get more than one opinion on your choice to have an elective form of surgery.  Make certain you ask the surgeon questions and understand the answers so you can make a properly informed decision.

San Francisco Ophthalmologist

LASIK corneal thickness

+1

There is not enough information to answer your question. Corneal thickness alone is not sufficient to determine which procedure is best for the patient. The currvature of the cornea and the prescription also play a role. Make sure your doctor is a fellowship trained corneal surgeon who has the capability of performing all kinds of refractive surgery.This way they can recommend the best procedure for you.

New York Ophthalmologist