Should I Have Lasik to Correct to 20/20 ?

I am 26 yrs old and my prescription is stable at -5.75 in right eye with -1.00 astigmatism, 42 axis and -6.00 in left eye with -1.00 astigmatism nd 136 axis. Corneal thickness: 502 microns in both eyes. I do not have dry eyes issues. I am Asian (Indian ) Should I go for Lasik as I am totally frustrated with glasses wearing them for almost 14 years ? Is my corneal thickness good enough to correct my refractive error ? Will it be too risky for me to have it ? which surgery technique would be best?

LASIK or PRK to Get to 20/20 Vision

+1

Your corneas are borderline thickness for your degree of refractive error (your prescription). 

Your ophthalmologist will need to run your specific numbers carefully and may need to use a smaller treatment zone, a thinner flap, or no blend zone.  You might want to consider PRK or LASEK which would allow you a larger treatment and blend zone.  PRK and LASEK have equal benefit as LASIK, but do require longer to recover. Generally, consults are free so I would get a couple of opinions to find out which option is better.

The surface of your eye (your cornea) is unique like a fingerprint so the tests taken will help give a clearer picture and map of that surface which will give a better answer since you are on the boarder.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

LASIK for 20/20

+1

I agree with previous posts that you appear to be a good candidate for a refractive laser vision correction procedure.  I would add that while 20/20 (or even better) is the goal of every procedure, it is not 100% guaranteed.  Some people will not be correctable to 20/20 and while the laser is extremely accurate, nothing is 100% predictable and individual variations can lead to occasional residual refractive error.  20/20 is likely but not guaranteed.

Jay Bansal, MD
San Francisco Ophthalmologist

Both LASIK and Surface Ablation are appropriate options

+1

Both surface ablation and LASIK are appropriate options based on your initial description of your condition.  However, a complete exam including corneal mapping is required before one can determine whether you are a candidate.  Both procedures (LASIK and surface ablation) provide excellent visual results and are equally safe with your prescription.  

Bill Trattler, MD

Miami, FL

William Trattler, MD
Miami Ophthalmologist

20/20 post op vision correction, best options

+1

The decision to have refractive surgery is entirely the individual's own to make and I never try to talk someone into the surgery.  Our jobs as surgeons should be to provide the pros and cons and then let you, the patient, decide.    Many people in your situation have had surgery and done amazingly well.  In fact, well over 95% have been corrected to 20/20 or better in just a single treatment.  Your corneal thickness is on the thin side, however a lot depends on the elevation maps that show your corneal shape.   If there is any issue with the maps, you should be advised that you may have an increased risk and therefore deemed a non candidate for the procedures.   PRK is an excellent procedure, despite what I have seen posted on this forum in the past.  We perform PRK approximately 15% of our cases and have tremendous success.  This  might be your best option since you are also only in your 20's and that usually makes us eye surgeons more conservative in our thinking.    In summary,  you need a thorough consultation with an experienced surgeon.

Andrew E. Holzman, MD
Mc Lean Ophthalmologist

A Full Evaluation is Necessary to Determine LASIK Suitability

+1

From what you have posted there is no contra-indication to an IntraLase LASIK.  Other factors are your topography and general eye health as well as the presence of systemic conditions/medications. An experienced refractive surgeon should evaluate you to determine whether you are, in fact, a good candidate.  Wishing you success.

Dean Dornic, MD
Raleigh-Durham Ophthalmologist

Lasek vs LASIK

+1

I'm a firm believer of Lasek Safer than LASIK w less night glare and dry eyes That's coming fr me who had LASIK myself and performed 5,000 lasiks before switching to noncutting Lasek in 2005

Emil Chynn, MD
New York Ophthalmologist