If Lasers Haven't Worked for my Ice Pick Scars, What are my Options?

I first had 3 profractional lasers, then, got 1 more, a little deeper, until it was decided to undergo a deep CO2 laser. During healing, and just months after, my scars seem to be almost invisible to the naked eye. Now, 1 yr &1/2 later, the scars look a little bit more prominent, again. They're not as deep, but still there, nevertheless. Worse, I still have a very pink and uneven skin tone when I do not wear makeup. What can I try to try to get my scars from 80% gone to 95%, and the pink gone?

Fractional CO2 Laser is Gold Standard for Acne Scar Removal

+1

It sounds like you made the right choice in getting the CO2 laser, as that is truly the most effective way to treat ice pick acne scars. Typically only one treatment is needed and the best results are seen up to after six months following the procedure. Sometimes maintenance is required to keep up the scar-free appearance. I would suggest getting the CO2 laser again. We offer a procedure called F.A.S.T. (focal acne scar treatment) that treats only the acne scarred area, while leaving the surrounding skin untouched. The healing time is much quicker with the F.A.S.T. technique and the results are seen much quicker. Fraxel can be done one month after the initial CO2 treatment to provide better results and give a boost to the first treatment.

Treatment for Ice Pick Acne Scars

+1

There are other treatments that can be helpful for ice pick scars including dermabrasion, chemical peeling, electrosurgery and or punch excision. All of these necessitate healing and temporary discoloration but yield very good results.

Channing R. Barnett, MD