What Lasers Work Best to Get Rid of Red Scars from Blepharoplasty and How Soon After Surgery Can I Start? Thank You

I had upper and lower blepharoplasty, there are several scars

Lasers for red scars after blepharoplasty

+3

After blepharoplasty surgery, it is normal to have some redness of the scars during the healing process.  With time, this redness normally resolves completely.  Reducing exposure to the sun can help the redness fade away faster.  I'm not sure how long ago you had your surgery, or if your scars would be treatable with a laser.  More information and an exam would be needed to assess your condition.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Use of lasers to treat red scars after surgery

+2

Most surgical scars improve in appearance with time and I threfore encourage patients to wait as long as possible before pursuing .  However, if patients are motivated to reduce redness more quickly rather than waiting for many months, I will sometimes treat scars once the wounds have healted sufficiently that the laser will not weaken them.  This is typically 3-4 weeks after eyelid surgery.  I generally do not treat lower eyelid scars with vascular lasers as this could affect eyelash growth.  Appropriate ocular protection must be used to prevent injury to the eyes.  The treatment is fast and there typically is no associated recovery time.  A few treatments are usually required to achieve best outcomes.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Red scars after belpharoplasty

+2

It is very unusual to require laser treatment of blepharoplasty incision scars.  These incisions take up to a year to fully heal.  Usually time is the best solution.  Sun avoidance is important.  Sometimes injections of steroids or 5 fluorouracil can be done for prominent or bumpy incisions.  I have never had to laser a blepharoplasty incision, but if I did for some reason a pulsed dye laser such as a V Beam would probably be best.  

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Red Scars from Eye Surgery

+2

Hi Dalila.  Generally we would not perform any laser treatments on surgical scars for 6 months after the surgery.  This is how much time we deem that you need to heal without intervening with more treatments.  The body generally does a good job on it's own with this type of time.  

If the scars are red, we would be using a pulsed dye laser (Cynosure V-Star) to treat them.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Blepharoplasty scarring

+2
Scarring should go on to heal nicely. I do not see a reason to laser the eyelids. You should avoid sun exposure and, if the surgery was recent, give things a chance to heal.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Lasers and Blepharoplasty

+2

In general, blepharoplasty scars heal extremely fast.  Stay out of the sun until the scars are healed.  I see no reason why you should have laser on your scars.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD