Laser Treatment for Tyndall Effect After Restylane?

Can Lasers Be Used to Treat Tyndall Effect Under One Eye from Restylane Treatment I Received 4 Months Ago?

Laser treatment for Tyndall Effect after Restylane

+1

Laser treatment would not improve the blue discoloration from too superficially injected Restylane.  The Restylane might be able to be extruded through small punctures into the area but hyaluronidase would be the best treatment.  Please see an experienced injector.

Toronto Dermatologist

Laser is Not a Good Option

+1

Laser treatment for the bluish discoloration after Restylane is not a good option.  With time this will resolve on its own.  You also have the option of dissolving the hyaluronic acid using hyaluronidase.  The doctor who injected you should be able to administer that.  However, it will dissolve most of the Restylane in that area, so you will be left with how you started. 

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist

Tyndall effect is caused by the optics of the skin

+1

When material refracts light from the deeper layers of the skin, blue wavelengths will be bent back outward and thus result in the bluish discoloration we see when fillers are injected to close to the surface.  Good placement avoids this problem, but I have personally seen cases from other physicians where products have migrated upward after many years.  Strange, I know.

Unfortunately, the only way to fix Tyndall effect is to remove the problem and lasers will not remove the filler.  Depending on the filler, there are different treatments, but the one everyone is most familiar with is hyaluronidase for hyaluronic acid fillers (restylane, perlane, juvederm).  

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

blue discoloration(tyndall) from Restylane injections?

+1

Light reflecting off of the injectable product can result in a blue discoloration in some. Superficial injections or areas where there is thin skin can be predisposed to this in some individuals. If superficial, we can use a small needle to help faciliate removal of the product. If a bit deeper it is often easier to inject a product called hyaluronidase to help "dissolve" it. Your doctor should test you for an allergy to this product prior to injecting it in greater quantities.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Hyaluronidase

+1

If the Restylane can not be extracted by puncturing the skin and lateral pressure, hyaluronidase should be used. This is an enzyme that breaks up ( and melts) hyaluronic acid. You should be tested elsewhere on the skin first to be sure you do not have an allergy.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist