Scarred After Laser Vein Treatment to Face

I had a vein treated with a laser on my face, the vein went from the corner of my mouth to below my chin. I had a large blister immediately after. Now, I still have about a 1/2 scar, atrophic, and also have line where the vein used to be that is sunken-in beneath the skin.

it is noticeable all times but especially during certain facial movements, almost looks "tethered" -if that makes sense. The clinic says it will go away, both the tethering and the atrophic scar. Help! What should I do???

Lasers can help but can also harm

The photo seems to show a significant skin injury in the upper half of the treated area. Could be a burn from the laser energy/heat. It needs to be guided through its period of recovery so that it is not injured more and is given the best chance to recover well. Then, perhaps a year from now when healing is complete, a new evaluation needs to be done to see just what might be needed to give the best final result...........maybe nothing but I think the depression that you now have in the skin will need to have something done. Keep in close contact with your caregiver laser person for support and advice. I would be careful at this time about doing anything too drastic. Waiting for things to stabilize is what I'd suggest.

Victoria Plastic Surgeon

101-1830 Oak Bay Avenue
Victoria , BC V8R 6R2

Scarring after treatment of large blue vein

It appears from the photo that you have a scar in the skin overlying the area where the blood vessel was treated. Laser treatment of larger blue veins requires a lot of energy and often this heat energy is transferred to the surrounding skin resulting in loss of tissue. The darker area lower on your chin appears to be an area where a clot has appropriately formed in the vein being treated. THis part I think is normal and will resolve with time including the tethered look you describe. The other area I feel will need treatment in order to improve the tissue loss and scarring.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

130 Providence Road
Charlotte, NC 28207

Vein treatment with laser should be approached carefully to avoid scarring on the skin

Laser treatment of deep veins on the face are often difficult and should be approached with caution. I would address the redness and hyperpigmentation carefully in my office, with a combination of topical Melaquin first, followed by a Melapeel and Vbeam laser. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Faqcial veins

It s you have a problem either way. See the doctor who treated you and seek advise based on examination, to try to minimize the scarring and possible pigmentation.

10 East 31 Street
Baltimore, MD 21218